Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > SAP Pistol Firing Pin Misfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SAP Pistol Firing Pin Misfire

I have an Australian Arms Model SAP pistol in .223 caliber. This is a semi-auto with an action similar (maybe identical) to the Australian Arms assault rifle.
The gun misfired on two rounds out of a total of about 20. The primer was indented but the depth of the indentation was about medium to small compared to other guns I have.
The ammo was a cheap foreign brand that is at least 5 years old. I did not try to fire the rounds the second time; although, I wish I had.
The gun was reasonably clean. It had fired no more than 100 rounds since it was new. The bolt is easy to remove and disassemble without any tools required. The hammer spring was never left in the cocked position. I have dry fired it a few times to drop the hammer before storing the gun.
My basic question is: What is the preferred amount of firing pin protrusion above the face of the bolt. I can easily measure that with a dial indicator.
The firing pin has a flange at the rear that bottoms on a tubular part of the bolt. This tube section could be easily filed to allow greater firing pin protrusion above the bolt face. I hesitate filing it because replacement parts may be difficult or impossible to get, and I don't have a method to keep the surface perfectly square.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Richard-Kent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. I would suggest trying different ammo.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2646 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

The mountainman13 is providing words of wisdom.

Don't fix the firearm until you are positive that the ammo is not the problem.

Primers of some ammo maybe "harder" than others. Get good reputable ammo first.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Firing pin protrusion will be the same on all rounds. If you have 2 out of x with shallow indentations, the cause is likely the hardness of those primers, and not the firing pin.

AR 15 armorer manuals use a guage with a GO dimension of .036" and a NO-GO dimension of .028".

With the firing pin held firmly forward in the bolt, the end of the firing pin protrusion gauge (or gage, if you prefer) marked "MAX" (GO - 0.36") should pass over the end of the pin without touching it, and the end marked "MIN" (NO-GO - .028") should hit the end of the firing pin and not pass over it.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 09-05-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. Yes, the problem is the ammo or rather the primer in the ammo. The gun is right on spec.
c3shooter, I checked the firing pin protrusion with the "hole depth rod" feature on my dial calipers. The dial marks are 0.001". It worked nicely and was quick. The firing pin protrusion is between 0.035" and 0.036". This is at the top of the range listed as 0.032" to 0.037" by one reference. The indentation in the two primers by a quick glance appeared to be the full amount of the protrusion, but I no longer have the two defective rounds. I guess the defect in the primer could be anything. They were never exposed to moisture, that I know of.
Yes, I will use different ammo for serious shooting, and the defective ammo can be disposed of by punching holes in targets and cans.
Replies are very much appreciated.
I consider this case closed.