Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Sako M995 stock cracked (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/sako-m995-stock-cracked-14934/)

Huntbear 06-18-2009 09:51 PM

Sako M995 stock cracked

Hello, I am new on the forum and have a question.

I have a Sako M995 with a crack in the wrist of the Polyurethane stock. Is there a special epoxy for fixing this or will acra glass/gel work?? I understand that this is a common occurrence with this stock, so am hoping somebody has some experience fixing it.

Thank you in advance.

Dillinger 06-18-2009 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to our Firearms Community.

Does your stock look anything like this?

Huntbear 06-18-2009 10:02 PM

Looks just like that one. Except on the left side and runs more vertical from the back screw to the rear action tang.

Dillinger 06-18-2009 10:10 PM

Yep. That is a common problem in those models. Beretta, who owns Sako now, is going to charge you out the wazoo for a new stock and they are not recognizing the problem as a "flaw" last I heard, so no warranty work.

How do you feel about Bell & Carlson?? :D

You can fix it, but the area that you are talking about is going to be a weak spot forever, and it will probably crack again at some point.

To fix what you have had happen, you will need to sever the stock in two and insert one or two rods between the two pieces ( I believe accu-glass makes rods for this work ) and then perhaps sand down and re-wrap the exterior with fiberglass weave or similiar product, then refinish.

These stocks are known to be weak in this area, so if you can swing the money, I would recommend an aftermarket stock and be done with it.

JD

Huntbear 06-18-2009 10:17 PM

Well, if it was just a stock, I could swing it, but McMillan is the only company that makes an after market bottom metal for that gun, at about 200.00 plus the cost of a new stock. Sako in their infinite wisdom made the bottom metal/plastic molded into the stock.

I will try the fix, but am worried due to this being a .338 WM. Did you know there is no recoil lug on this action? There is a small Devcon? stud that comes up out of the front of the stock, in the action area, and fits LOOSELY into a slot on the action. So all 3 screws take all the recoil, along with the stock at the rear tang.

Thanks for the quick reply to a newbie.

Dillinger 06-18-2009 10:30 PM

^^ - Yeah, I always forget about that damn bottom metal. That sucks bro - One of the few Sako products that really is a disaster in the field.

Generally they turn out some good stuff, but this one slipped through and the company has their head in the sand on the known problems.

You can write to them, but expect a response in about 6 to 8 weeks with an offer to send it to them, at your cost, so they can "evaluate" the problem. Unless something changed recently. The last one of these I had any contact with was back in Aug of last year. A lot COULD HAVE happened in that time. Might be worth your effort to see... *shrug*

338WM? Boy, you are really looking to be abused aren't you? LOL

If you do go with the fix, I would recommend twin rods, with lots of accu-glass, then sand down the outside and do a layered fiberglass wrap with a colored resin that you can sand down once it sets.

It's going to be messy, not to mention itchy, but when it's done it should be stonger than the original....

JD

Huntbear 06-19-2009 03:00 AM

.338 WM does not kick. Now a 338-378 kicks or a 700 N.E. but not a .338.:D I can shoot 30 rounds thru it, no problem. I am going to do the fix myself. Can not screw it up any worse than it already is, lol, since Sako will not do anything about it. I will post my success or failure as it happens, lol.

dsander8 07-16-2009 12:23 AM

SAKO crap . . . cracked stock

Does anyone have any up-to-the-minute advice on the M995 wrist cracking issue?

I've been down just about every avenue I can think of and it always comes back to fix it myself since the floor plate and trigger guard are molded into the stock.

HELP!!! I won't part with the gun and can't stand seeing it broken. It needs to be in the field not in the closet.