SAA Clone Won't Range - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > SAA Clone Won't Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, so far I have tried everything I know, something I made up and spent at least 5-6 hours working on this thing. It is only partially fixed now.

When I put the range rod down the bore it goes through the cylinder but only after bumping it over. I put a steel shim inside the fram to limit the bolt's movement left to right and the worked brilliantly by stopping it from moving but not to solve the ranging problem.

I have tried a new hand and shortened the second stage on the original. I have also removed some metal off of the right side of the hand so that it wouldn't push on the cylinder at full cock. So, better but not best yet.

By the way, I would include pictures but I don't have a camera available right now. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to try again tomorrow and hopefully I'll be holding my mouth right.....

Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3097 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I am interested how this works out. Just curious. If these are all original parts, what changed to create the problem? Or what parts have been changed?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't really know how long this problem has been going on. According to the serial number this is an older gun. There are people, however, who own these guns for a year or more before even firing them. So far the only new parts that are still in the gun are the cylinder and the bolt. I have also tried a new hand but it didn't seem to matter.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

With the hand pivoting on a point on the hammer, could it be that the hammer is the culprit? Maybe someone tried a different hammer and got the wrong one?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Good idea, I'll try that next.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Any updates?

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have learned a lot from this experience. Misalignment from the cylinder to the bore is the most difficult problem to fix on a revolver. In the end, this is usually caused by a mis-machined frame and requires very expensive and time consuming repairs. I did get the alignment closer on this particular gun than it was when I received it. Interestingly enough, the gun still delivered serviceable (read: factory) accuracy. I feel much better about how much I now know about this problem.

I am Cimarron Firearms primary warranty station and we have determined to replace guns with this problem in the future. They don't want to shell out $300 for a repair on a $600 (retail) gun and I don't blame them.