S&W Model 63 .22 revolver issues....???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > S&W Model 63 .22 revolver issues....???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W Model 63 .22 revolver issues....???

Hey guys, I inherited this beautiful revolver, but it was having a hard time opening the cylinder. After a little toying around I got it to open, I cleaned it and when I went to close the cylinder, it wouldn't close.

After scratching my head I found that the ejector rod seems to be too long and overlaps and won't close........I have never seen anything like this and I don't want to force it and do any damage.

Here are some pictures let me know if you know of a way to fix this without sending it in.

Thanks!

p1010022.jpg   p1010023.jpg   p1010025.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Check if the ejector rod has backed out. It may just need to be tightened.

When you have a chance, head over to the New Member Introductions and introduce yourself to the gang.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipster52284 View Post
Hey guys, I inherited this beautiful revolver, but it was having a hard time opening the cylinder. After a little toying around I got it to open, I cleaned it and when I went to close the cylinder, it wouldn't close.

After scratching my head I found that the ejector rod seems to be too long and overlaps and won't close........I have never seen anything like this and I don't want to force it and do any damage.

Here are some pictures let me know if you know of a way to fix this without sending it in.

Thanks!
The ejector rod can unscrew a bit which causes the problem you're having. A padded vise-grip will take care of this one. I believe they are "reversed" threads so be careful...

Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Check if the ejector rod has backed out. It may just need to be tightened.

When you have a chance, head over to the New Member Introductions and introduce yourself to the gang.
I will, I just found this thread today when I googled this problem and surely will be around for quite some time!! haha thanks for the help guys it sounds like this should be an easy fix.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The ejector rod can unscrew a bit which causes the problem you're having. A padded vise-grip will take care of this one. I believe they are "reversed" threads so be careful...
Yep that fixed it!!!

Wow what a relief this is a gun that I grew up shooting and just inherited it and will pass it down to my kids, and I'm glad this was an easy fix.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Glad to help and a S&W 63 is an absolute classic among .22 revolvers...

Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #7

Default S&W revolvers

thats a common problem with smiths.I was in a navy base and saw I bunch of smiths I went to touch one and was told they were loaded,and the crane would not open. I fixed 45 of them in a few minutes.I was in like flynn after that.