Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   S&W Model 63 .22 revolver issues....??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/s-w-model-63-22-revolver-issues-20661/)

chipster52284 12-02-2009 02:49 PM

S&W Model 63 .22 revolver issues....???

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I inherited this beautiful revolver, but it was having a hard time opening the cylinder. After a little toying around I got it to open, I cleaned it and when I went to close the cylinder, it wouldn't close.

After scratching my head I found that the ejector rod seems to be too long and overlaps and won't close........I have never seen anything like this and I don't want to force it and do any damage.

Here are some pictures let me know if you know of a way to fix this without sending it in.

Thanks!

CA357 12-02-2009 03:09 PM

Check if the ejector rod has backed out. It may just need to be tightened.

When you have a chance, head over to the New Member Introductions and introduce yourself to the gang. ;)

NGIB 12-02-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipster52284 (Post 193155)
Hey guys, I inherited this beautiful revolver, but it was having a hard time opening the cylinder. After a little toying around I got it to open, I cleaned it and when I went to close the cylinder, it wouldn't close.

After scratching my head I found that the ejector rod seems to be too long and overlaps and won't close........I have never seen anything like this and I don't want to force it and do any damage.

Here are some pictures let me know if you know of a way to fix this without sending it in.

Thanks!

The ejector rod can unscrew a bit which causes the problem you're having. A padded vise-grip will take care of this one. I believe they are "reversed" threads so be careful...

chipster52284 12-02-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 193168)
Check if the ejector rod has backed out. It may just need to be tightened.

When you have a chance, head over to the New Member Introductions and introduce yourself to the gang. ;)

I will, I just found this thread today when I googled this problem and surely will be around for quite some time!! haha thanks for the help guys it sounds like this should be an easy fix.

chipster52284 12-02-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 193169)
The ejector rod can unscrew a bit which causes the problem you're having. A padded vise-grip will take care of this one. I believe they are "reversed" threads so be careful...

Yep that fixed it!!!

Wow what a relief this is a gun that I grew up shooting and just inherited it and will pass it down to my kids, and I'm glad this was an easy fix.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

NGIB 12-02-2009 03:24 PM

Glad to help and a S&W 63 is an absolute classic among .22 revolvers...

WILDCATT 12-18-2009 10:57 PM

S&W revolvers

thats a common problem with smiths.I was in a navy base and saw I bunch of smiths I went to touch one and was told they were loaded,and the crane would not open. I fixed 45 of them in a few minutes.I was in like flynn after that.