Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Ruger Mk1 Repair (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/ruger-mk1-repair-39979/)

Jessesoda 03-19-2011 03:17 AM

Ruger Mk1 Repair

1 Attachment(s)
This is the bottom of the bolt in a Ruger Mark 1 pistol I recently acquired. As you can see, one edge (and also some of the center surface) has a very noticeable serration, and this causes the action to be very difficult to cycle by hand as well as causing jamming when firing.

My question is, What can I do to correct this? What causes it? Are the tolerances close enough that I can't remove material? What kind of tool would you suggest?

If you need more information I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse

Jesse17 03-19-2011 03:22 AM

What the heck would cause that?

I'm waiting to see what someone who knows what they're talking about says, but I'd say clean and OIL the HECK out of it and see if that works before honeing it.

I know my MK II had many FTFeeds until I had about a bagillion rds thru it, now it's smooth as can be. But that's obviously not your problem.

NGIB 03-19-2011 11:32 AM

The marks are so evenly spaced it looks like it was done intentionally with a hammer & punch. :eek: I've never seen anything like that before and I'm curious what one of our gunsmiths will say...

masterPsmith 03-19-2011 03:15 PM

The scaloping was a result of the machining operation. The cut was made using the side of an end mill that was either dull, or turning at the wrong speed and fed too fast.

Jim.....

Jessesoda 03-20-2011 01:19 AM

I'm sure it wasn't intentional, as the depth of the indentations tapers off towards the end of the cycle. A machining problem sounds more likely, but I can't imagine anyone using the thing with such an obvious problem. But who knows, maybe they didn't.

Any suggestions on how to correct it? Will I need to find a new bolt?

Jesse17 03-20-2011 02:24 AM

I would have thought someone who knows more than I would have chimed in on this already...but I guess I'll tell you what I think...keep in mind I have ZERO experience modifying firearms other than bolt-on accessories.

I just broke down my MK II to compare. It's not quite identical to your MK I but the bolts work on the same basic prinsipals...

It looks to me like it wouldn't hurt a thing to hone that surface. It's a round bolt in a round receiver, and (ON THE MK II) nothing 'keys' off of that surface. The only thing that keeps the bolt from spinning in circles in the receiver is the bolt stop pin and the ejector. But, I can see where a rough surface could catch on the cross member that the ejector is mounted on.

IF IT WERE MY GUN, I would double check that the above statements are true on your MK I and then I would lightly hone that surface a little at a time and see if it help. If you mess it up you're looking at getting a new bolt from Ruger, but if it's not functioning as is you're looking at that anyway.

That's my $0.02 worth. Please keep us informed of what you do and what kind of results you get.

c3shooter 03-20-2011 03:55 AM

FWIW, you take good pictures. Having good pictures, i would attach them to an email to Ruger, and see what happens. BEFORE I started filing anything.

freefall 03-20-2011 05:26 AM

Ruger will fix it, I bet for free.