Ruger 44 mag Carbine Issue

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Ruger 44 mag Carbine Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 44 mag Carbine Issue

Hi all new to the forum hope yall could help me out. I ve scoured the internet, nobody knows.

I've got a Ruger 44 mag carbine (tube Mag). I've field stripped it a few times, never with an issue. However, This time after reassembly the rifle won't lock open. Meaning that when I cock it, the gun wont stay locked open. But not only that, it won't go back far enough for the bolt to even clear the ejection port. After about 21 times taking it apart to try to figure it out, I figured I'd ask someone. I'de like to think I'm pretty good with firearms. But I can't figure this one out. I really dont want to take it to a gunsmith because I'm certain it's something stuipid.

Thanks in advance for any and all help
I NEED to get this rifle back together, it's drivin me nuts

Totally unrelated, but I was looking at this Advert for ESS glasses you guys have on here. I've been looking for some good rx ANSI glasses that look cool enough to wear all the time. work,rec,shooting. I was checkin out wiley x ..... but i've heard negative things. Any input? Looking for a oakley type wrap around style and i wanted to get transition lenses. If anyone has any personal experience or could point me in a different direction. Much appreciated.

Last edited by LaSt-0f-ThE-4; 11-05-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 156 Times on 108 Posts

I wish I could help try the ruger section of the forum

Last edited by hmh; 11-05-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2291 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 669

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ig/Ruger-44-Carbine-Instructions/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 11-05-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

yea I actually just watched that video. didnt really tell me anything I didnt know. Like I said, I field stripped it a few times before. I just cant figure it out.

But thanks for the advice. I prolly would have better luck on Ruger.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

I know that one pretty well. But its got so many parts inside i dont know the names off hand. I will post instructions this evening on how to do it if you havent found a solution by then.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

The earlier semi-auto carbines had a habit of breaking a couple of pieces inside.

On the next disassembly, double check for cracks or broken pieces.

(There is a reason it is not offered anymore)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

the only things you can really get wrong on it is putting the magazine tube in upside down. it will not allow the gun to be fully cocked and prevent the bolt hold open from working. this is most liekly your issue barring any broken parts in the trigger assembly

you can also leave out the ejector but that has nothing to do with bolt retraction or lockback.

you can also remove the bullet guide, which shouldnt be done, but that also has nothing to do with the issue. on some models the guide is held in by screws others like mine its pinned in. both types are where you would expect the scope base holes to be on other guns. the front scope base holes on the 44 carbine are on the barrel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...