Round stuck AR 15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Round stuck AR 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
pouring solvent in the bore is not going to penetrate the case to bullet seal and get into the powder charge. all its going to do is make a mess. its not the rusty bolt or nut type stuck.

my question is: is the case a steel casing??

if so, is your chamber chrome lined??

if not then do not shoot anymore steel cased through that barrel once you get it unstuck
Good call, I figured I would try some Steel cased Tula in my savage bolt gun and guess what . Stuck !!!!! I had to tap the bolt back with a rubber mallet and it did hold tight enough to pop out the spent case . I wont be doing that again any time soon

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Good call, I figured I would try some Steel cased Tula in my savage bolt gun and guess what . Stuck !!!!! I had to tap the bolt back with a rubber mallet and it did hold tight enough to pop out the spent case . I wont be doing that again any time soon
you need to remove the lacquer from the chamber. to do that use a chamber mop or very large shotgun type patch soaked in denatured alcohol it will disolve the lacquer instantly on contact. if you dont you can experience the same situation with brass if any was transferred to the chamber.

the reason its ok to use on chrome is lacquer simply will not stick to chrome. what it does is the heat melts the lacquer on the steel case and sticks to the chamber walls. lacquer has a very strong affinity to uncoated steel. thats why you see some folks using steel ammo just fine in a AR15 and others nothing but problems.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #13

Quote:
you need to remove the lacquer from the chamber. to do that use a chamber mop or very large shotgun type patch soaked in denatured alcohol it will disolve the lacquer instantly on contact. if you dont you can experience the same situation with brass if any was transferred to the chamber.

the reason its ok to use on chrome is lacquer simply will not stick to chrome. what it does is the heat melts the lacquer on the steel case and sticks to the chamber walls. lacquer has a very strong affinity to uncoated steel. thats why you see some folks using steel ammo just fine in a AR15 and others nothing but problems.
Jon, that was my very first round of tula ever run thru that rifle. Always used brass and it had just been cleaned. Chambers just to tight to run steel after it swells up

Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Jon, that was my very first round of tula ever run thru that rifle. Always used brass and it had just been cleaned. Chambers just to tight to run steel after it swells up
steel is actually looser than brass in that it doesnt expand and seal the chamber like brass. steel has issues with gass blowby going back around the case and into the bolt face. its not an issue in ak47 and actually increases reliability a massive ammount over brass due to the almost non-existant expansion of the steel cases.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #15

Quote:
steel is actually looser than brass in that it doesnt expand and seal the chamber like brass. steel has issues with gass blowby going back around the case and into the bolt face. its not an issue in ak47 and actually increases reliability a massive ammount over brass due to the almost non-existant expansion of the steel cases.
So ya got any ideas what my problem is? My buddies savage does the same thing

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its the steel lacquered cases. dont use steel. clean your chambers with denatured alcohol to remove all remnants of any lacquer that may have stuck to the chamber walls. removing that is a MUST do since it will cause even brass to stick once you get any lacquer in the chamber. cleaning is super easy. you can do it with patches or q-tips takes like 30 seconds of wiping. savage uses a 223 chamber and its pretty tight to begin with add residue from steel cases and your in trouble

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #17

Quote:
its the steel lacquered cases. dont use steel. clean your chambers with denatured alcohol to remove all remnants of any lacquer that may have stuck to the chamber walls. removing that is a MUST do since it will cause even brass to stick once you get any lacquer in the chamber. cleaning is super easy. you can do it with patches or q-tips takes like 30 seconds of wiping. savage uses a 223 chamber and its pretty tight to begin with add residue from steel cases and your in trouble
The tula we are using is not laquer coated.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #18

Thank you everyone for the info. After work I'm gonna take apart my AR and see what I can do. It is a steel cartage I got stuck. I've our about 300 rounds of steel through this particular AR and never had an issue before. I have heard that AR's can be finicky with steel rounds.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #19

Are you using the laquer coated stuff like brown bear ?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #20

Yes, I have used that.