Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Rossi 92 action work & feeding repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rossi 92 action work & feeding repair

I bought a used Rossi 92 rifle (Winchester 92 copy) and sight-in and function testing at the range revealed no problems. The next day, I took it to a cowboy action match and had several rounds slip out when cycling the action under speed. Tried it again and had a repeat of that and switched to another rifle to finish out the match.
I began inspecting it at home and confirmed the cartridge stop wasn't functioning properly (the forward tip should spring back and forth). I removed the guide and discovered the spring was installed improperly. My excitement went up figuring I discovered the problem. Loaded up 10 dummy rounds and started racking the lever. Didn't make it all the way before some began to stovepipe. Once this occurred, I wiggled a few cartridges to see if the guides were too sloppy and determined they were. I cut a few thin strips of plastic to try as shims under the right guide and found out the guide and screw were stripped in the area most likely to improve the feeding. Got a new guide & screw and began to fit several shim thicknesses until I got it. I cut new shims out of metal, installed them and it fed ammo like it was supposed to with rounds of at least 200 gr (.45 caliber).
If anyone has handled these guns, you probably noticed the action as being overly stiff. One would think the main spring as being the culprit, but more often it is the ejector spring. You can clip a few coils off of this spring which will make a huge difference. Go slow because if you go too far, you'll need to get another spring. Another option is to use a lighter weight spring, but since I didn't have any, I just clipped some coils. Next you can clip a few coils off of the mainspring to further ease the levering feel. I use Winchester primers, so I leave more of the spring than I would if using Federal primers and test it with primed cases. I'm looking for strong enough hits and 100% reliability.
When you begin to disassemble the action, one thing to know is that you do not need to remove the screws in the locking bolt that is connected to the lever. After you drive out the bolt pin, open the lever and the locking lugs and the lever will pull down and out from the gun without removing the screws. They reinstall the same way, with the bolt partially open. Some find it is easier to reassemble the action by using an empty case to hold the ejector in place.
Your rifle or carbine will no longer feel like it has truck springs and will be easier on the brass. John Wayne would approve.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Informative post, thanks! Pictures by any chance?

I don't have a Rossi 92 but sounds interesting..

Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Mine still has the stiff springs but I can hold it in front of me by the forearm(sideways) and use one finger to work ten rounds through the action pretty fast. All I did was fill the action with white lithium grease and work it a few hours. The grease lets parts wear in together.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congratulations on getting a gun that is well fitted to the ammo.
Mine was used and evidently "worked" on by someone. Judging from it being assembled wrong and stripped threads, I would say that someone was rather ham-fisted. I was pleased I didn't have to send it to a smith and I saved that money in repairs and shipping costs. Action jobs start at about $120 and this just cost some time. In addition, I learned some lessons and enjoyed working on this project.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #5

I pretty much do what Hawg did on almost every new gun.

If you want a nice gun, Steve can turn that thing into a shootin beast.

Sales/Services-Rossi 92 Winchester Marlin Uberti Shotguns Pistols Cap & Ball