Rifling , boring , chambers = adapters
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Rifling , boring , chambers = adapters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1079 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Default Rifling , boring , chambers = adapters

OK I bought my first 37mm launcher the other day and now have the bug . I intend on getting it registered as a aow or DD , but ill get to that in a bit .
Im going to be investing in a lathe soon for work purposes but I also intend on making some adapters for the 37 and my other shotties .
Questions
1 : What tool is needed for rifling ? Will an adapter for a , say 223 with rifling in a 37mm make it a sbr ?
2: What tool would i need for boring the chamber ? is it like a tapered drill bit ?

I have a few here now from dina arms for a 12ga to 9mm , 12ga to 22 .
I have the 26mm adapter already , i took one of my smoker rounds that had been shot and drilled out the primer end to fit the 12ga adapters i have .
Im not worried about anything exploding , there is plenty of material there by the time you put all the adapters in . It works by the way , i fired both 9mm and .22 out of it this after noon . I also fired a 12ga mini out of it but nothing more than a mess of of unburned powder and whimpy pop .
I know nothing will really be accurate firing out of it but with enough adapters around you can shoot most any round . Good thing to have when there is zombies out there and ammo may be scarce .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5658 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

first step would be contacting the atf on rules regarding using those things with the flare launcher. describe to them in detail how you want to use it. they will tell ya whethr you need to aow or not.

destructive device tends to but not always involve explosives

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8840 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Mobile- I do not think you are making an AOW or a DD, but could be making an SBR. HOWEVER, this is a point to discuss with the ATF, since THEY, not US, would be the people putting handcuffs on you.

STRONG note of caution- those things, such as a 37 mm Federal Gas Gun (shoots tear gas) operate at an entirely DIFFERENT range of pressures than a firearm. Simply sliding a sleeve into the barrel does NOT change the pressure that will be exerted on the breech. You could be getting ready to do a dynamic disassembly of the thing. The M203/ m79 Grenade launchers have a special design so that chamber pressures are way LOW for that reason.

Chambers are cut usually with a lathe using a tool called a chamber reamer, and it more than a one step process. The chamber reamer is specific to that cartridge. Rifling is cut using a rifling cutter in several different processes.

Please discuss this with someone with practical experience, and do it face to face. The internet does not permit you to evaluate the advisor regarding missing fingers, face wounds, etc that they may have.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #4

I forgot to mention that mine is the bates & dittus underbarrel , but i afixed a pistol grip to it today with plans for something more stabile and friendly . The locking mech on the breech is pretty stout and the barrel slide forward to load , its overall design looks like it could handle a load but when you get down to it , its still made out of aluminum .
Also , you gotta wonder how long the rifling would last being it would be made out of aluminum ?

If it were top break or any other I would be a bit hesitant , also im not looking to load high energy 37mm , just 26 and below so the adapter would be giving it extra strength.
You can not buy the 12ga shot shell adapter w/o a copy of a form 1 or 4 , what ever that means . The site claims it would then be subject to nfa or somthing

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

hay this sounds like fun is the breech long enough for a .458? that would be awsome for when the zombies come

Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
hay this sounds like fun is the breech long enough for a .458? that would be awsome for when the zombies come
It opens enough to drop in a 25mm anti tank round if you have the balls ill stand back a bit and let you go for it .

here is one with it opened

Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

..... .....

image-963747819.jpg  

Last edited by Tylos; 10-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.