Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > rifle barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default rifle barrel

I have a glenfield model 70 .22 I have had it for 23 years and it's older than that I'm sure. My groups are not that tight anymore. I'm wondering how I could find out for sure if it's the barrel. I have put many many many rounds through it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

KYMike,

Is the bore clean or all leaded up? A lot of the old rounds were lead and had an issue with after many rounds were fired of fouling up the bore and filling in the Rifling's with lead! If the bore is in good shape it could even be the ammunition you are shooting. When you are talking about accuracy what range are you speaking of an what degree of being inaccurate regarding hits on the target. Should the barrel be pitted or fouled that will certainly cause inaccuracy. Worst comes to worse you can get a new barrel form Gun Parts Inc. also known as Numeric Arms Inc.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 AM   #3

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Kymike,

Chances are that the barrel is fine. It is very uncommon to shoot out a .22 cal. rimfire barrel. I have some that are at least 100 years old and are shot a lot. The barrels are in pristine shape and they shoot very well. Give it a good cleaning and try several different types of ammo and see which it prefers. Also check the muzzle crown for any nicks or irregularities. Sometimes a re-crown works wonders. Headspace issues can also cause inconsistencies from shot to shot. Just a few thoughts...................
Let us know what you find and how it works out.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Testing for accuracy ....

When I test a .22 rimfire, I try several different brands of ammo (5 shot groups) at 50 yards. The standard velocity usually beats out the high velocity stuff by quite a margin. You might be surprised to see how much difference there is between different brands of ammo. Each rifle is will prefer one particular brand.

During your testing, be sure to clean your barrel (with a brush and solvent) just before you switch to a different brand of ammo. Each brand or rimfire ammo leaves a different residue, and that will affect accuracy when trying another brand. If you want to do a good ammo test, remember that a rimfire barrel needs to be "conditioned" with 3 or 4 shots after cleaning, before it will shoot the ultimate tight group.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a friend That bench shoots a lot of 22lr competitions. He doesn't clean the bore more than once in 2000 rounds and when he does he doesn't think it is ready for competition till he shoots 200 rounds through it. He does however run a dry patch through it every time he is done shooting it. I don't know if there is any validity to this but he does well competing.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

dteed4094 ........

It is common for competition rimfire shooters to not clean their barrel for a very long time. As long as you don't use different types of ammo, your barrel will stay conditioned to shoot tight groups in the same place. Competition shooters rarely encounter rough weather conditions like hunters.

However, if it appears that your accuracy begins to deteriorate, nothing beats a good bore cleaning.

Visit our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM It's devoted to helping shooters make the best handloads possible.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Anothing to consider is your eyes are 23 years older!!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

I would agree with the barrel needing a good cleaning.

You can shoot out a 22lr but you need to run nearly 10k rounds a day for a year... or something approaching that. There just isnt enough heat and pressure in a 22lr to wear the metal down unless its a really crappy barrel to start with

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...