"Riding the link"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > "Riding the link"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default "Riding the link"

Read an interesting article written by a 1911 expert that says one of the main reasons 1911s are finicky and some are prone to FTFs is that the barrel link is resting on the slide stop when the slide is fully rearward. According to the article, a few thousandths clearance is a good thing as it allows a little barrel "float" when chambering a new round. Supposedly, if you have a cranky 1911, you can elongate the TOP of the slide stop hole in the link just a smidge and it can cure the problems. Changing to a longer or shorter barrel link or just making the link hole bigger in diameter affects timing so I wouldn't do this myself. I know we have a few real gunsmiths here and I'd be interested to hear their opinions...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3055 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Fitting a Clark ramped barrel, they even suggest elongating the lower link hole (the one the slide release goes through).

I would not touch the top hole.

IMO, the key to accuracy in a 1911 is to have everything line up the same way for every shot. I would get the proper fitting link and consider elongating as a last resort.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Based on my albeit limited knowledge of the 1911, elongating the top of the slide stop hole would not affect lockup (read as accuracy) at all. The article describes that the lower barrel lugs should be "resting" on the slide stop and not the link - which makes sense to me. I've got a few extra links, I may play around with this a little in the sometimes cranky Springer...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3055 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Elongating the upper hole can allow for twisting (albeit a small amount).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm late to this because we haven't had internet for 2 days (it turned out to be the wiring inside the house). You've just stumbled onto an old "trick" we sometimes use. I've NEVER seen it hurt anything and sometimes helps. Usually I replace the link with a longer 1 for better lockup when permitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Read an interesting article written by a 1911 expert that says one of the main reasons 1911s are finicky and some are prone to FTFs is that the barrel link is resting on the slide stop when the slide is fully rearward. According to the article, a few thousandths clearance is a good thing as it allows a little barrel "float" when chambering a new round. Supposedly, if you have a cranky 1911, you can elongate the TOP of the slide stop hole in the link just a smidge and it can cure the problems. Changing to a longer or shorter barrel link or just making the link hole bigger in diameter affects timing so I wouldn't do this myself. I know we have a few real gunsmiths here and I'd be interested to hear their opinions...

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
svb

Being a complete amateur, I study the Brownell's catalog and their M1911 catalog (subset) religiously. I believe you can find links (Wilson Combat, maybe?) with different spacing between the upper and lower holes.

If it was my gun and I felt it was an issue (check for wear patterns, peening ...), I'd measure the distance between the two holes on my current link and buy a couple of different spacings on either side of it.