Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Restoring the rifling of old milsurps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Restoring the rifling of old milsurps

I'm not even sure this can be done but I've got to ask the question: Can the rifling of an old milsurp rifle be restored? Are rifle buttons available to the home hobbiest/restorer made in the patterns of the day? I'm specifically interested in the 303 enfields.

I have seen where companies offer reboring of barrels using sleaves and what not and even found a company that manufactures barrel buttons... Is this possible or just a major waste of time?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's my opinion that if the barrel is pitted enough that the rifling is screwed up then that barrel, in that caliber, is pretty well shot. By that I mean if it's pitted, that means there's less metal and small pits or holes in the rifling (lands & grooves). You can't put that metal back. The only way to salvage that barrel (severely pitted) to like new shape is to reline it. It would generally be cheaper to replace the barrel than it would be to reline or rebore/rerifle it. If the pitting is very light it MAY shoot ok just the way it is (with a little cleanup). In almost every instance I've seen, the new barrel will outshoot the old pitted 1 anyway so why bother unless you're restoring it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #3

Default barrels

numrich has barrels.
you need a hydralic machine to pull it thru.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Replace it.

We have enough KBs around here!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #5

Thanks guys.. I got the information I needed .