Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Gunsmithing Forum (
-   -   Restoring the rifling of old milsurps (

RCHanlin 11-17-2009 06:57 PM

Restoring the rifling of old milsurps
I'm not even sure this can be done but I've got to ask the question: Can the rifling of an old milsurp rifle be restored? Are rifle buttons available to the home hobbiest/restorer made in the patterns of the day? I'm specifically interested in the 303 enfields.

I have seen where companies offer reboring of barrels using sleaves and what not and even found a company that manufactures barrel buttons... Is this possible or just a major waste of time?

stalkingbear 11-17-2009 10:04 PM

It's my opinion that if the barrel is pitted enough that the rifling is screwed up then that barrel, in that caliber, is pretty well shot. By that I mean if it's pitted, that means there's less metal and small pits or holes in the rifling (lands & grooves). You can't put that metal back. The only way to salvage that barrel (severely pitted) to like new shape is to reline it. It would generally be cheaper to replace the barrel than it would be to reline or rebore/rerifle it. If the pitting is very light it MAY shoot ok just the way it is (with a little cleanup). In almost every instance I've seen, the new barrel will outshoot the old pitted 1 anyway so why bother unless you're restoring it.

WILDCATT 11-18-2009 01:05 AM

numrich has barrels.
you need a hydralic machine to pull it thru.

canebrake 11-18-2009 03:37 AM

Replace it.

We have enough KBs around here!

RCHanlin 11-18-2009 09:16 AM

Thanks guys.. I got the information I needed .

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.