Restoring a finish on 870
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Restoring a finish on 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Restoring a finish on 870

I recently acquired a never been shot 870 express. The previous owner tried to remove some rust from the reciever. now the finish is gone in to spots. Does anyone know a way to repair the finish. Not important, i know it is a cheap gun but i am just curious.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bluing

I have tried a cold re-blue kit with ok results. From what I understand hot bluing cost around $100. I guess you have to determine what the firearm's worth is to you and go from there. Good Luck, H.J.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would suggest contacting a local gunsmith that does re-bluing and find out when he plans on doing it again. Then strip the weapon yourself and drop it off prior to his planned bluing anyways.

In our shop, if we re-blue for you ( which includes strip down and reassembly ) it is $75-$100 depending on the severity of the take down. However if the piece comes in ready to go in the tank, Brett usually charges $25 to $35 bucks depending on if we have to silicone sand blast it or not.

JD

Old 01-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Included in this package: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_remingtion_steal.asp

You go from this:

To this:

For $350.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #5

Are those upgraded Ghost Rings as well? Night Sights?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Are those upgraded Ghost Rings as well? Night Sights?
Yup. The Wilson, formerly Scattergun Technology, shotguns are nice. They do quite a bit of reliability tuning to the 870 on top of the Armor-Tuff coating and tritium ghost rings.

The Border Patrol has a contract with them. All Border Patrol shotguns have come from Wilson for quite a while now.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

You know, that is a really good deal. I wouldn't say it's a hell of a deal, but for what you are getting with that package, I am tempted to buy an old 870 and get it upgraded with that package for $350.

I wouldn't have traded my FN for anything ( before it fell off the boat into the Marianas Trench with my AR ) because I knew what that baby could, and would do, but that is a well built piece of kit for an additional $350.

Very nice find indeed....

JD

Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is sah-weet! They do great things with 870s for sure. Best bet to keep the cost down is if you have an 870 beater already. They rebuild it from the ground up and replace all the worn parts (included in the 870 package deal "Remington Steal" they called it I think). Can upgrade (ghost ring, extension, etc) as budget allows.

So back to the original post, it is up to you what you want to do with her. Closet / bird gun just get it blued. Tactical, if you got it for a steal then send it off to Wilson and get her sexed up like Matt said. As always...IMO.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You know, that is a really good deal. I wouldn't say it's a hell of a deal, but for what you are getting with that package, I am tempted to buy an old 870 and get it upgraded with that package for $350.

I wouldn't have traded my FN for anything ( before it fell off the boat into the Marianas Trench with my AR ) because I knew what that baby could, and would do, but that is a well built piece of kit for an additional $350.

Very nice find indeed....

JD
It really is. You can pick up a beat to hell 870 for $150ish. If you add the $350 for the Remington Steal package, you've damn near got a Scattergun Tech 870 for 2/3 the price. You don't have the Wilson machined bolt and receiver, but the Remington parts have proven themselves in even the nastiest conditions. With a shotty, precision isn't a critical issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
That is sah-weet! They do great things with 870s for sure. Best bet to keep the cost down is if you have an 870 beater already. They rebuild it from the ground up and replace all the worn parts (included in the 870 package deal "Remington Steal" they called it I think). Can upgrade (ghost ring, extension, etc) as budget allows.

So back to the original post, it is up to you what you want to do with her. Closet / bird gun just get it blued. Tactical, if you got it for a steal then send it off to Wilson and get her sexed up like Matt said. As always...IMO.
Wilson's Armor-Tuff is available in black and you can strip the wood furniture off of the gun before sending it to Wilson, so you can still have a black metal on wood gun. It takes Wilson a couple of weeks to do their thing and in that time, you can refinish the stock and forearm yourself. Sell off the synthetic forearm and stock for $50 and you've reduced the price of the overall package even.

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 01-04-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #10

Thanks y'all. I think that this 870 will have to get a little more beat up before I spend much more money on it. However, that refinished one looks nice.