restoration discussion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > restoration discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default restoration discussion

I have A old bolt action 20g. shotgun. Not sure the make or model. It was my great great grandfathers, and I'm looking at getting it restored and use able.

I'm wondering if any one knows of a Great gunsmith in the DFW area that might be willing to take this task. Not looking to pay thousands but also dont want cheap cheap cheap, if you catch my drift.

thanks in advanced, Jon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You need to have the firearm appraised first of all. If it is somewhat of a collector's item, and you do ANY finish work what so ever to it, you will DROP the value! Post some pictures and markings of it and we can help send you in the right direction on value and collectors status.

But I can not stress enough, do NO refinish work until you know exactly what you have

Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
I have A old bolt action 20g. shotgun. Not sure the make or model. It was my great great grandfathers, and I'm looking at getting it restored and use able.

I'm wondering if any one knows of a Great gunsmith in the DFW area that might be willing to take this task. Not looking to pay thousands but also dont want cheap cheap cheap, if you catch my drift.

thanks in advanced, Jon.
Why would you even think of spending $ if you are looking for a usable shotgun?

Save it for the memory value and buy a modern shotgun for use.

You'll probably have less $ outlay, save a memory and have a current technology shotgun!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #4

value of the gun is not the imporant issuse to me. I would rather be able to use this gun as did the 3 generations before me, then to have it sit in the locked safe. My plan is to keep it orignal, but useable. I'm not looking to update it to our times with all the high end goodies. I have plenty of rifles and shotguns to fill that gap.

Thanks for responding so fast, and I will be posting pictures as soon as i can find the damn USB cord.

Thanks, Jon

Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
value of the gun is not the imporant issuse to me. I would rather be able to use this gun as did the 3 generations before me, then to have it sit in the locked safe. My plan is to keep it orignal, but useable. I'm not looking to update it to our times with all the high end goodies. I have plenty of rifles and shotguns to fill that gap.

Thanks for responding so fast, and I will be posting pictures as soon as i can find the damn USB cord.

Thanks, Jon
If you have thought it out, go for it and don't forget the eye candy!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If that is what you want to do. Forget about what everyone else says. The only guns that look good to me are guns that I can shoot. If you can't shoot it then why own it?

I also agree with minion as to get it looked at first. It may be a $100 mossberg or it might be a $1000 off the wall brand that is big on the auction block right now.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #7

update.. Took it to a mom and pop place not to far away that my cousin has used and they priced me at around $300-350 for original parts..

will update with before and after pictures when i get it back. i was told about 2 months..

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 Months?

What are they doing to it that will take months?

Bear tex pad, and some new oil on the stock. Parts from numrich, maybe remove and install a new bead front sight.

2 weeks tops accounting for shipping if they put the order in that day. 1 month if the stock needed to be completely stripped, steamed, and re-oiled/

Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoetz2005 View Post
2 Months?

What are they doing to it that will take months?

Bear tex pad, and some new oil on the stock. Parts from numrich, maybe remove and install a new bead front sight.

2 weeks tops accounting for shipping if they put the order in that day. 1 month if the stock needed to be completely stripped, steamed, and re-oiled/
This thread is over 6months old.
In a hurry to get the 25post needed to sell the walther in the classified section?? Just askin

Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope, but it's nice to know how you treat new members.

Thanks for the warm welcome.