restoration

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default restoration

I have my grandfather's mod 70 win action and barrel that has been in a house fire and annealed, is there anyone that can heat treat the action and barrel so it can be restored, any commits greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Got any pictures??

what's the year of the action? if it's pre-1964, you have yourself one of the best damn rifle actions made and it's worth more than you think, provided it's not irreversably damaged.

One option is One Cyro, where they can Cryogenically treat the steel and help get some of the impurities out.

There is much positive and much negative about the process - and I am certainly no expert at it. I know several people who have had their rifle actions treated this way that SWEAR it makes the action even better.

I have also read other gunsmiths poo-poo the idea altogether.

But, if you have a true, pre-1964 action, I would be willing to spend a little more than normal to restore it, it's definitely worth it in the long run.

JD

Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Thanks Dillinger, got a call into cryo maybe they can help me, how expensive are they? The action and barrel is a 264 win mag prolly made around 1959, no pics pertty rough, but would be a great project.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If it's a pre 1960 you definitely have a keeper.

One Cryo is just one option. And without seeing the action it was merely something I threw out there.

Price? I don't know. I know rifle barrels are a couple of hundred bucks, but they only throw them in when a partial run, so you might have to wait a couple of weeks.

I do know that several 'smiths swear that the pre-'64 is hard on tooling, but after treating with Cryo it's much easier to work on.

A 1959 action is definitely a keeper. That is a Shooter's Action you got there. Dump that old barrel, get a new Kreiger or Bartlein barrel, have the action trued up ( blue printed ) and make yourself one hell of a good hunting or tactical build.

I would love to see some pictures when you get her apart, or back from One Cryo, or something. You really have a true keeper there...

JD

Old 06-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Best of luck. Please keep us informed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the action has been in a house fire, then it will need to be re carburized (Heat treated). If the fire got any kind of hot, it changed the charastics of the receiver and may have softened it.

Unless you want bits of steel handing out of your face. Search for action heat treaters, and have it redone right before going any further.