Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Gunsmithing Forum (
-   -   Replacing my remington 1100 front sight (

JeffCooper 12-07-2011 07:12 AM

Replacing my remington 1100 front sight
My tactical shotgun does have very tactical sights at all. Barrel is parkerized and has a small ramp with a bb on it. I've ordered an IPA sight which basically looks like an M1 or M14 front right. I need to removed the stock front sight and attach the new sight...and I want to do it without having to repark the barrel.

How do I remove the old sight?

I was told that the new sight needs to be silver soldered on. My jeweler-pal says he knows a guy with a laser and that's the best way. Are there alternatives? I appreciate all suggestions! thanks!!!

hiwall 12-07-2011 01:54 PM

I don't see how it can be done without damage to the finish.

JeffCooper 12-08-2011 03:58 AM

Hmmm.. that's depressing. How would I remove the old site even if it would damage the finish? Or solder on a new one?

hiwall 12-08-2011 04:17 AM

most of these sights are silver soldered on. this means that it has to get pretty hot to install/remove the sight. hotter than a standard propane torch. most often an oxygen/acetylene torch is used. to remove you heat it up and it falls off. that part is easy enough. to install it is a little more complicated.

JeffCooper 12-08-2011 01:01 PM

I think my jeweler is implying that a laser is precise enough to heat the sight (and only the sight) up without jacking up the 'park'. Same on the installation side.

I haven't spoken to this guy yet - I guess he's another jeweler and has a passion for firearms. I'll let you know what happens! I may end up sending it all to Hans Vang, as they have a cool front sight, installed, refinished, etc.