Replacing locking block for 92FS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Replacing locking block for 92FS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Replacing locking block for 92FS

What I plan on doing is replacing the stock barrel with the first product you see on this site
EFKFiredragon Products
I am unsure of whether or not I can use the stock locking block that came with the Beretta or if I have to buy the one advertised on this site. It's $50 more I could spend on ammo, let me know if you guys have any advise or expertise on how to go about replacing the locking block.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

You should be able to use the original block.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I honestly don't know if the Firedragon barrel will work with the factory part or not but it should.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Be aware that the locking block is one of the few documented weaknesses of the 92 series. Personally, I'd get a new one to go along with the new barrel - especially if your gun has lots of rounds through it.

Now a question - why a ported barrel? Recoil is already negligible on a 9mm...

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #5

I wanted a longer barrel honestly and these were ported instead of trying to look for a $200+ compensator. I know the 9mm is a mouse round and has very little recoil. But I wanted it for the look since I think these barrels are 5.5 inches. That is what concerns me is that if the locking block had problems. It doesn't have even 900 rounds through it yet. So it shouldn't be worn or have much if any problems yet at all. I looked at the loading block yesterday to make sure it wasn't cracked or nicked anywhere.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #6

I got the barrel last night and spending over an hour and lubricating the locking block I managed to get it off, but it took an incredible amount of force. I doubt I damaged it, (using my hand to remove it, like the video at beretta92fs.com said to do), it slid smoothly into the new barrel; I haven't fired it yet, but some people claim different generations of the 92fs locking block being better or worse than the previous this information was taken from a beretta forum. It looks like only beretta, taurus and very few other models still use locking blocks today. Needless to say, no cracks, dents, knicks, dings, no nothing on the locking block to indicated if it's damaged in anyway. Once the locking block shatters it is really hard or impossible to get the gun back open unless the barrel is sawed in half, weighing on the side of caution here, I want to know if anyone has ever had a problem with the locking block before firing less than 900 rounds through the gun?

Last edited by Nake48; 09-21-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

A companion had a Taurus that one broke on. We "found" a Beretta one (on a military base, no less) and it fit like a glove. There were no problems after that.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

I replaced a few dozen locking blocks on M9's as an armorer in the service, but they only failed after after tens and tens of thousands of rounds.

Inspect the outer edges after each shot for a few magazines. If the block is going to fail you will see "galling" on the outer edges of the block and on the frame rails (worst case, means it has been fired after failing). If it fails completely it will most likely break off one of the outer edges and lock your slide closed, likely on a live round.

The only way to get it open after failure is unfortunately to force it, a lot...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-