Replacement recoil pad
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Replacement recoil pad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 349 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Replacement recoil pad

I've got two shotguns that I'm going to need to replace the recoil pads on. One is a Winchester 37 that I've already redone the stock on and I bought a medium recoil pad cheap at GM just to realize it is way too big.

The other gun that is going to need a recoil pad is a J.C. Higgins 16 gauge bolt gun that I picked up cheap. I was at Gander tonight looking at recoil pads and they are wanting $40 for a limbsaver that is grindable to size. How much of a pain is that? I have access to the equipment I will need but it seems like I should be able to get a pad that will fit right on. These aren't odd custom shotguns with oddball stocks. They are common guns.

What are your processes for fitting a recoil pad or am I just looking in the wrong place? I don't want to go the slipover recoil pad route.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #2

Liked 1425 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hogue Grind to Fit Recoil Pads : Hogue Inc.,

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All after market recoil pads are over size and need to be taken down. It is nice to have a jig that sets the angle of the heel and toe of the stock.
Have you thought of a slip on recoil pad just a thought.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 05-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wrap the butt end of the stock with at least 3 layers of masking tape. Grind the pad to fit until you barely get into the masking tape on the stock. That will prevent you from actually grinding on the stock & messing the finish up.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

Liked 1425 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Wrap the butt end of the stock with at least 3 layers of masking tape. Grind the pad to fit until you barely get into the masking tape on the stock. That will prevent you from actually grinding on the stock & messing the finish up.
Using a 60 or 80 grit should give you a nice finish on the pad. Use a fresh sandpaper belt/disk and should it foul, clean it or install a new one.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello