Repair to my beretta 84fs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Repair to my beretta 84fs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Repair to my beretta 84fs

hi everyone out there i just got my first Beretta. it was past on to me but with alot of damage to the slide and the trigger guard. the slide has a lot of rust which has made holes in the metal and the trigger guard has been rough up so some of the metal has eaten away. can i get some advice on how to repair the 2 problems and to get a finish as close to the original Burniton finish. thanks very much

02052010218.jpg   02052010216.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Welcome to the forum. Hop over to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself, may help to get more responses.

My suggestion would be to have a gunsmith give the gun a thorough once-over. The rust and damage that you can see may only be half of the problems with the gun. There may be internal rust and corrosion to the barrel and chamber that make it unsafe to fire or just plain unreliable.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #3

Default repair to beretta

a gunsmith checked the firearm out it is working fine just the cosmetics that is bad. See the gun is a conceal carry and the sweat from the previous owner body rusted the slide. i need some advice apart from what the gunsmith said to repair it

Old 05-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

That's a lot of damage. This will require some serious "polishing" to remove the pits and make it smooth again. If it were mine, I'd probably polish it out the best I could and use some form of painted finish. I don't expect this one will ever look like new again...

Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

thanks NGIB that i will try out first but what polishing compound can i use and how do i go about doing the repair thanks again

Old 05-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Not to call you out but that damage isn't a result of carry, that's shear neglect.

I'd guess it was stored for a prolonged period in a poly bag or lying on foam in a gun box. (In a salt mine!)

If it were mine, I'd first get the gunsmith's OK in writing!

Next I'd strip the gun to single parts. Any internal part showing signs of wear or corrosion would be replaced.

All springs would be replaced along with any pivot pins regardless of wear/corrosion.

The barrel would get close scrutiny and need to pass my inspection before I send any lead down range!

I have a 6” grinder/wire wheel and an 8” dual buffer. I would take the wire wheel to both receiver and slide and wire off any rust. Go easy, watch the S/N and Do NOT create a lot of heat. Once the rust is gone, I’d start with a heavy grit compound and start buffing to remove the pits.

You are not going to remove all the pitting but you can make it a lot better. Just like collision repair, spray on this Lauer surface filler then sand and repeat:

DuraFil Surface Filler

Follow instructions and continue to fill until your arm falls off or you get it the way you like it.

Then finish up with Lauer DuraCoat Firearm Finish like this:

Lauer DuraCoat Finish

Jump in and don’t think about it. Just do it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's my opinion that you need to have it finished by a gunsmith. It's gone too far for home remedies. Any finish thick enough to fill in the pitting will also fill in the lettering & numbers if you try to do it yourself. It would be cheap insurance to let your local gunsmith refinish it for you.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj380acp View Post
thanks NGIB that i will try out first but what polishing compound can i use and how do i go about doing the repair thanks again
I hope you don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. Polishing compound may take a couple of years. I agree with canebrake.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What you can also do is bead blast it to get the rust off and camoflage some of the pits . Brownells has a teflon moly bake on finish that has worked preaty good for me.
Cover the lettering with masking tape 2 or three layers before bead blasting.
This will give a mat type of finish.
The teflon moly comes in a number of coloures.
F.K.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #10

canebrake thanks i had already given up hope and you saved me. oh yes the previous owner did have it in the original Beretta plastic case