Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Renoving perm attached comp? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/renoving-perm-attached-comp-91994/)

LaiePoi 06-08-2013 07:25 PM

Renoving perm attached comp?

I want to change out my handguard and I know it's going to be a pain in the ass because I need to remove the perm attached battlecomp from my 14.5" barrel. My question is when I get it removed will I be able to use it again (repinned) or will I have to buy a new one?

danf_fl 06-08-2013 08:31 PM

Be careful my friend. The ATF does have a limit on barrel length and the comp (permanent like yours) is considered part of the barrel length.

Removing the comp and not having the paperwork for a SBR, could put you in a big house for a few years, hefty fine, and permanent status of not ever owning another firearm again.

SSGN_Doc 06-08-2013 09:48 PM

Most removal methods I've seen are destructive to the comp.

What type of handguard do you have and what type do you want to put on?

robocop10mm 06-08-2013 09:49 PM

It depends on the way it was attached. Most are blind pinned and silver soldered. To remove the blind pin, you will have to grind into the comp and destroy it. There should not be too much of a legal issue as long as you do not reassemble the gun with the comp off. Remove the comp, FSB, replace with a free float and new comp. Make sure you attach the new comp/FH in a "permanent" fashion.

Remember, silver solder alone does not qualify as "permanent".

BillDeShivs 06-09-2013 02:33 AM

High temperature silver solder is considered "permanent."
The 400 dgree stuff you buy at the harware stores is not real silver solder.

LaiePoi 06-09-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Be careful my friend. The ATF does have a limit on barrel length and the comp (permanent like yours) is considered part of the barrel length.

Removing the comp and not having the paperwork for a SBR, could put you in a big house for a few years, hefty fine, and permanent status of not ever owning another firearm again.

I'm not worried it won't be assembled to the lower, making it a non firearm

LaiePoi 06-09-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Most removal methods I've seen are destructive to the comp.

What type of handguard do you have and what type do you want to put on?

I'm taking off a noveske NSR and putting on a Centurion Arms CMR

LaiePoi 06-09-2013 03:44 AM

Sounds like I'll have to buy a new comp. bummer those battlecomps are pricey! Ill probably have to take it to a gunsmith for removal and repinning. Doesn't sound like something easy enough that ill be able to do myself. How much is an average price for removal? I think Scottsdale gun club charges $65. How high is the possibility of damaging the threads during removal?