Removing a stuck dovetailed front site

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Removing a stuck dovetailed front site

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Removing a stuck dovetailed front site

I inherited an old Marlin Model 39M 22 that originally came from Florida. It is pitted pretty badly along the barrel. I want to draw file and sand the Octogon barrel but I haven't been able to extract the front site from its dovetail. The site is not rusted on the outside but I think it is probably rusted in place inside the dovetail. I've used liquid wrench and WD40 as well as mild heat to try and loosen it to no avail. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

WD-40 (Water Displacement formula, 40th attempt) is okay for some things, but ......

Take a look at a sight pusher. Although this is not the best, it may work.

http://www.sightpusher.com/

By the way, Welcome to the forum. Stop by the "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

roughneck266 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
WD-40 (Water Displacement formula, 40th attempt) is okay for some things, but ......

Take a look at a sight pusher. Although this is not the best, it may work.

http://www.sightpusher.com/

By the way, Welcome to the forum. Stop by the "Introductions" area and say "Hi".
I use this all the time to do sight changes. Its very simple, but it works quite well. You will not find a cheaper alternative (at least I couldn't)

Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2625 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by K75_rider View Post
I inherited an old Marlin Model 39M 22 that originally came from Florida. It is pitted pretty badly along the barrel. I want to draw file and sand the Octogon barrel but I haven't been able to extract the front site from its dovetail. The site is not rusted on the outside but I think it is probably rusted in place inside the dovetail. I've used liquid wrench and WD40 as well as mild heat to try and loosen it to no avail. Any suggestions?
Try Break Free. Let it sit for a while. I have been able to dislodge some tough nuts and dove tails.

Edit. I am not familiar with the marlin, but a steel sight can be tapped out often without a pusher. Need a steel punch and a small steel hammer.

Last edited by Mercator; 02-09-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
Nun

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Kroil oil in liquid form (not aerosol ). Soak it a couple times a day for a few days.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Put barrel in a vise. Take a punch and a fair sized hammer(16oz. or larger) tap sight out to the right(same as gun ejects).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

what the two above said--Kroil, soak for a few days, then put the barrel into a vise and use a punch to drive it to the right. Kroil works very well but will make everything it touches stink.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #8

Liked 304 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Gun work to Jeep lift kits.......Kroil is KING!!!!!!!!!! (and yeah it stinks).

Sturdy bench with a benchblock and decent hammer and brass punch should do the trick too.
A little give can really screw you on getting things unstuck.

A sturdy bench and parts holding means you shouldn't have to hit it too hard (since the moderate strike will have no loss).

Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying the break free right now because that's what I have. Will give it a couple of days. If it doesn't work I'll try the Kroil. My last resort will be ordering the pusher tool. I've beat it in a vise and in a punch block left to right until the side of the sight is starting to deform. I've never seen one this stuck. Thanks again. Will give an update on how I finally get it out.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #10

Ok, so I finally got the front sight out of it's dovetail. Took three days of soaking in Break Free and, as you can see in the attached photo of the punch used, a pretty good beating. Thanks again for the advice. Think I'll order some Kroil just to have on hand. Sounds like good stuff.

front-site.jpg