Removing rear sight, Ruger Mark II Target

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Removing rear sight, Ruger Mark II Target

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Removing rear sight, Ruger Mark II Target

I need to remove the fixed rear sight on my Ruger Mark II Target pistol, vintage about 1986. It appears to be a "press fit" into a dovetail slot. Can it be tapped with a plastic mallet or similar tool to remove?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
I need to remove the fixed rear sight on my Ruger Mark II Target pistol, vintage about 1986. It appears to be a "press fit" into a dovetail slot. Can it be tapped with a plastic mallet or similar tool to remove?

If it's dovetailed then that's the method. Very good chance you'll need more than "tapping" with a plastic mallet though. A little penetrating oil usually helps as well.

A good sized hammer, a brass punch (with a piece of leather over the end), receiver chucked in a vise - thump away.

Make sure it doesn't have a setscrew as well like the adjustable sight models do...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes. Check for the freaking setscrew.

Will keep you from tapping the stupid thing until your ears turn purple.

Not that I would know.

Last edited by agoetz2005; 11-10-2009 at 04:11 PM.