Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > removing paint from a barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default removing paint from a barrel?

I have an old riffle to restore and someone has painted the barrel with what looks like model car paint. can anyone tell me what i can use to remove it without messing up the barrel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

The easiest way would be to sand or media blast it.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6745 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Duckie, I corrected some spelling in the title of your thread. I changed "pain" to "paint".

Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Lacquer thinner might remove it. Next try paint remover(if your looking to chemically remove it). Else see bige91603's post

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
I have an old riffle to restore and someone has painted the barrel with what looks like model car paint. can anyone tell me what i can use to remove it without messing up the barrel.
If you have a compressor and sandblaster, use glass bead. If not take Acetone and wipe it down. Then take 800 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the barrel going one direction in an even fashion. If you are super patient and want it done really right, only go one direction not back and forth.

When you start to get the color change wipe it down with Acetone again. Now start wet sanding it with 1000 grit until you get it where you want.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #6

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 51

brake fluid
remove the furniture and any rubber parts then soak the parts you want to remove the paint from for a couple of hours the paint will wipe right off this will not damage any parkerizing or bluing under the paint.
if you plan on parkerizing then bead blasting the old finish will work if you are going to reblue then you dont want to bead blast you will be better off removing the old finish with scotch brite and fine wet sanding paper.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

FWIW I fix barrels every week that have been pitted or otherwise damaged from brake fluid, vinegar, and other chemicals for doing exactly that. Some were soak 2 days, some 20 minutes.

So YMMV but no way I'm ever telling someone to do that.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

if you repaired pitted barrels it was not because of brake fluid. the metal was already pitted from rust/oxidation and the brake fluid just disolved the rust that caused the pitting to begin with.

bead blasting would have produced the same results with a piece of metal that has rust dammage. when you spot weld a pitted barrel you have to remove the rust anyway so brake fluid is a good solvent for removing imbedded rust .

think about this, before they started using plastic containers for master cylander resivours automotive manufacturers used cast Iron and steel resivours for years before they replaced them with plastic resivorus they did not replace metal resivours because brake fluid damaged the metal parts they were replaced because plastic is cheaper and plastic will break down in time when metal will not
go out to any junk yard and find an old car that still has brake fluid in the resivour it will be in tact and rust free Guaranteed
dont matter about ymmv facts is facts if you prefer not to use it that is fine but shouldnt say thast it will pit metal when it will not.

As I had mentioned that brake fluid will damage rubber and wood finishes and should be stripped from the receiver and barrel before cleaning.

NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 06-06-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

in the case of brake fluid perhaps you would be right. I can think of only two that were done in brake fluid. Vinegar however is an extremely popular method thrown out all over the internet and there is no question that causes the pitting.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #10

I know I am right
Vinegar OTOH can activate oxidation and speed up the process and is caustic to metal. I would never recomend using vinegar to soak parts for long periods of time however if you have a pitted barrel or receiver that is badly rusted vinegar would be good to use for scrubbing out the pitted areas with a wire brush before spot welding because it is a good natural degreaser. if you have grease or oil in an area you are going to tig mig or stick weld and oxy acetylene brazing can and will cause porosity as will rust and other types of corrosion. It is important to have the metal clean as possible before doing any kind of welding or brazing as you may already know.

NRA
GOA