Remington Under Fire-- - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington Under Fire--

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fixxer-- I still invite you to look at the REAL evidence...the trigger and the patent. Forget what CNBC says, don't worry about what I say. Look at the actual mechanical device and please try to understand exactly how it works. That will show you exactly how it fails. Others have and have suddenly shut up!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The connector is a superfluous part. The connector has not been shown to be the part at fault in any of the incidents. It has only been shown that it has the potential to be the cause of some of the indidents. I think the focus on the connector is off base but it's an easy target.
There are aspects of the design, quite apart from the existence of the connector, that exacerbate dimensional quality control issues which are the culprit in every FSR case I have seen. That is, every case I have seen wherein the trigger has not been adjusted (incorrectly).
The new Remington 700 trigger (the x Mark Pro trigger) eliminates the connector but I have already seen two which FSR'd. Both were misadjusted by the owners. Plainly, the elimination of the connector and the addition of a trigger block to the safety, was not quite enough to counteract the kind of klutzmanship practiced by some of the owners.
The Barber family have, for years, wanted the opportunity to publicly flog Remington; the CNBC special is the first of what they hope will be many lashes laid on Remington's corporate back. I can't help but wonder if the accident might have been prevented if they had taken the rifle in for trigger replacement under the program initiated by Remington to address some admitted quality-control issues.
I have no dog in this fight but I do disagree with the premise that it is the existence of the connector, as a part of the original design, which is the root cause of the accidents with Remington triggers over the years.
The accident which has been the prime motivator in this case was not the mother's fault nor was it Mike Walker's. It was simply a case of something bad happening with a tragic result. The Barber's need to blame somone and something for their pain is understandable and, as I said before, the connector is an easy target. Remington has, by their mishandling of similar cases over the years, made themselves an easy target as well. GD

Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #13

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

I've got 2 Rem M700. Both actions will open with the safety in the "ON" position. Both past all the trigger/safety checks. Neither has had an acidental discharge.

So...What's all this mean to me???

Old 11-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ray--
It means the trigger has a defect inside it that could fail at any time, or at no time. It is a random failure that's hard to see but IS there, as the document describes.

I recommend contacting Remington for the new XMark Pro for both guns. I don't know availability, price or process, but I do know its a good trigger.

Aftermarket triggers are all solid triggers without the defect. I've had experience with Timney, Shilen, and Jewel and like them all. I personally don't like a Remington style safety, so I use three position custom shrouds and safeties, but that's not to say the others are bad, just me. (I use a raised bolt handle as safe anyway.)

Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Belk I see your back over here. Get tired of all the sheep at TFL?

Why don't you just give it up already. Everyone knows no one really cares anymore.

They screwed up. big deal......

Old 11-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

the first thing you have to to believe this crap is believe that cnbc is credible source for anything. personally if some jack comes on a cnbc and claims that the earth has a moon i wouldnt take thier lying ass' word for it.

this is the second poster today that has stirred up an anti-remington post on this forum with no proof other than a bunch of crap posted by cnbc with no other posting history.

the fact that this behaviour cannot be replicated on a out of the box rifle when some paid person hasnt jiggered the trigger mechanism has yet to be demononstrated. just another faked story by the leftist media to create anti gun sentiment.

Last edited by JonM; 11-07-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

As I said, I disagree with the premise that it is the connector which is the root cause of the accidental firings with Remington 700 Rifles. However, there is NO doubt that some triggers did malfunction "out-of-the-box". If any person doubts this, it is because they lack experience. Jack Belk and I disagree regarding the root cause and culpability but I cannot dispute that malfunctions have occurred with unaltered triggers. Such malfunction did occur and Remington has tried to address them over the years via re-calls and minor design changes. I dispute Jack's contention vis a' vis the connector because in EVERY case I saw where the rifle rifle fired when the safety was disengaged, the connector was not at fault.
So, you can dispute the cause and you can dispute the responsibility, but you cannot dispute the occurences except out of ignorance. GD.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralizabe View Post
Hello! My name is Laura and I do web work for Remington. If you're looking for a credible source, see Remington's response to the biased CBS program: Remington

Thanks!
Remington is, was, and always will be, my favorite brand of choice. I would sell all my rifles except for my Remington's. The bulk of my collection consists of Remington's. I have had only one...I will say that again to be clear...ONE...malfunction with a Remington during my 40 years of experience and ownership of them. It was a failure to eject on my latest Remington purchase...their 1911. That only needs a good breaking in period to solve as is the case with that particular design. I have never had a trigger go south on me.Never.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #19

jbelk is just someone who is trying to make money off of this scare. i blasted him on another forum, because he doesnt know what he speaks of. he deleted his thread there and disapeared . it owuld be nice if he followed suit on all forums!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've deleted no threads but I've started several. The CNBC special cost me several hundred dollars. I make nothing from it.

Here's sworn testimony--
Remington Admits Up to 10,000 Reports of Unintended Discharge, Including Up to 200 in its Own Testing Since 2002 « Hightangel Blog

You can either understand the weakness of the trigger or not. It's entirely up to you.