Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   remington model 12? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/remington-model-12-a-58788/)

zeke73 02-26-2012 01:46 AM

remington model 12?

Okey first I had to replace the extractor, ecxtractor spring and plunger and fireing pin (flat style) and all had to be filed alittle to fit or work properly or I think it is. It cycle's live rounds fine but when I shoot (rem balk 22 which I will never buy again miss fire's in every 22 I own) the case gets stuck in the chamber. Cleaned very well like I said live rounds just slide in and out. So the question is, What round should I shoot in this old of a gun? Or is this not the problem? Thanks for any info I looked at this gun not working since I was 5 and now 44 and am kind of proud I have it shooting again but want it cycleing while shooting then I will be done with it with a smile.

hiwall 02-26-2012 02:18 AM

Sounds like it might have a bad chamber. You could still maybe get by shooting a weak load like CB's. Otherwise you would have to have a liner put in the barrel(over $100). Not that uncommon for an old rifle like yours.

tonydewar 02-26-2012 02:58 PM

i just finished rebulding a 500a check the chamber for burs .midwayusa has a good video on deburing rim fires to give you an idea what your doing

zeke73 02-26-2012 08:27 PM

Thanks for your reply's! I hope it's the lesser of the 2. And that is a good video from midway I just ordered the menck chamber ironing tool they had on the video it's worth a try and if that don't work when I get my lathe I might try to re-sleeve it Midway had a video on that to and don't look that bad to do.

tonydewar 02-26-2012 09:35 PM

on mine i just used a dremmel and carefully polished out the burr

zeke73 02-26-2012 09:58 PM

I thought for 24 bucks then I got the right tool and i don't have a chance of takeing to much off. It will probly be another tool I will use once but I will have it if another one does come's up.

tonydewar 02-27-2012 12:57 AM

hope for a few more jobs. or let it be known you have it and rent it out.(with a 25.00 deposit)

zeke73 02-27-2012 01:16 AM

Another good point! Forgot about that kind of stuff, use to rent specially tool's from a cycle dealer when I was starting out raceing dirttrack. Didn't think people did that anymore, but I would to bring back the old day's of trust in people.

tonydewar 02-27-2012 02:04 AM

fun is fun but you need to recover your expense the 12a i did had about 300 invested in it. turned it for 450 my time worked out to about 5 an hr but i learned a bunch(why the heii dosnt this mag tube want to go back in). where in wis are you used to live in lake co il grew up partying in lake geniva

hiwall 02-27-2012 02:07 AM

If the ironing tool does not work a low cost solution might be to just sleeve the chamber. That way you don't have to buy the barrel liner or the special liner drill.