Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington 870 Clone issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Remington 870 Clone issue

First off.

If I could afford a new, real 870 I would have purchased it.
I probably will in the future.

I got this gun with a perfectly functioning 1933 Mosin, and it was only $100.

I have a used Hawk Model 982 (Remington 870 clone) and it is having a failure to feed issue.
I have watched on line and have verified it is not the more common issue of the shell latches hanging things up.
Both shell latches move fully out of the way at either end of the stroke like they are supposed to.
It cycles rounds out of the magazine without any issue when the 2 pins are pulled and the trigger plate assembly is removed.
When assembled, the rounds are a little hard to load as they scrape the carrier, then when sliding the fore end back to cycle a round into the chamber, the carrier is just barely blocking the shell after the shell latch releases it.
To get a shell to move part way I have to push the carrier down, but the shell only comes out a fraction of an inch before the carrier ramp blocks the remainder of the shells movement.
When watching an informative video on the 870, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjgCeiaoqI) I did see that the carrier seemed to protrude a little out the bottom of the gun where as mine does not.
The thought of bending it down a little had occurred to me but then it will interfere more with the loading of the shells

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #2

Liked 1959 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Before bending anything, make sure there are no obstructions keeping the carrier from moving fully. It may take some light, filing, stoning, or polishing to get rid of some burr or machining chatter that could be hanging it up. Also check the parts that interface with the carrier to drive it up and down, make sure there are no burrs there.

My observations if the Hawks is that the machining is left pretty rough, so those would be the things I'd check. It is possible that the bend is incomplete, so, if there is nothing else then that may be the thing to do.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will take a closer look at the related parts.

There is also the carrier upgrade kit offered for the Remington 870.

I could even look for a complete Remington 870 trigger group and just swap out the whole assembly.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

It could also be spring tension. Take the spring out of the mag tube and pull it, stretch it. If the issue goes away, you need a new one.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19814 Times on 11249 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

just out of curiosity, how many rounds have been fired through the gun?

has this been a problem since new or something that has occured over a period of time from being shot a lot?

Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
just out of curiosity, how many rounds have been fired through the gun?

has this been a problem since new or something that has occurred over a period of time from being shot a lot?
I have no clue as I got it used, but I don't think it has been used much.

The guy lived in Oakland CA, he painted it when he got it and the paint was not worn where you would expect it to be if used (rattle can so it looked like a mess), and you have to go a long way to legally shoot a gun out there.

I can see the carrier blocking the shell when the first shell latch lets go of it, then when the second lets go it is still held in place by the carrier.
If I push the carrier down and nudge the shell, it starts to move but then the ramped part of the carrier seems to be in the way and stops it.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #7

Liked 1959 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Oh, well the first job is to remove every bit of paint. Went through this with a AK clone. I don't mind folks using some paint in appropriate places, but for some reason, some people think that they need to put paint on thick, and that it needs to be everywhere. And masking of moving parts never seems to dawn on some folks.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Oh, well the first job is to remove every bit of paint. Went through this with a AK clone. I don't mind folks using some paint in appropriate places, but for some reason, some people think that they need to put paint on thick, and that it needs to be everywhere. And masking of moving parts never seems to dawn on some folks.
Yep.
In some places it was real thick.
The Lacquer Thinner did a good job of getting it all off of the shot gun.
The only problem was before I tried the Lacquer Thinner, I was too aggressive on the barrel and it is all shiny and chrome looking now.