Remington 740 project - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington 740 project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

ruzai, what a wonderful project! if it was mine, i would thin the profile just enough to get rid of those verticle lines on the forward grip. they look like someone used a hacksaw and cut them by hand! the wood looks like it would turn out very nice with sanding an new stain. wish you luck with your project, and post more pictures as you progress.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
ruzai, what a wonderful project! if it was mine, i would thin the profile just enough to get rid of those verticle lines on the forward grip. they look like someone used a hacksaw and cut them by hand! the wood looks like it would turn out very nice with sanding an new stain. wish you luck with your project, and post more pictures as you progress.
Unfortunately I cant get rid of them without making the foreend flimsy. This will be a hunting gun so its not a top priority on making it look too spiffy. And nither me or the intended owner want to put more than an extra $100 of parts on it.

On another (frustrating) note, there is so much carbon build up in the barrel not even the strongest chemicals in the school seem to make much of a dent in them. The ONLY thing that seemed to help was Butch's Bore Shine which took the copper fouling right out after a two seperate 15 minute soaks and scrubbings. I think I spent somewhere near 2 hours trying to get as much carbon out as I could before closing time at 4pm.
I dont think the barrel had been cleaned in many years.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #13

if the butch's bore shine seems to work to some degree, maybe try plugging up the muzzle and pouring some into the barrel and letting it sit for a little while. might loosen up the crud and allow you to scrub it out with a bore brush. just a thought.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
if the butch's bore shine seems to work to some degree, maybe try plugging up the muzzle and pouring some into the barrel and letting it sit for a little while. might loosen up the crud and allow you to scrub it out with a bore brush. just a thought.
My solution to the carbon was to simply sit at the parts cleaner with a bore brush and scrub the living fire out of the barrel then rinse and repeat for about 45 minutes. I finally got it cleaned and the metal assembled, now if only the stock would cooperate then I could be finished with it completely.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
My solution to the carbon was to simply sit at the parts cleaner with a bore brush and scrub the living fire out of the barrel then rinse and repeat for about 45 minutes. I finally got it cleaned and the metal assembled, now if only the stock would cooperate then I could be finished with it completely.
what kind of problems is the stock giving you? i will always be glad to put my two cents in if it would help!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
what kind of problems is the stock giving you? i will always be glad to put my two cents in if it would help!
Using Velvet oil as a finish, and some of the pores on the buttstock arent wanting to fill properly with the typical amount of coats of the stuff. There isnt really much I can do about other than keep applying coats properly.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Using Velvet oil as a finish, and some of the pores on the buttstock arent wanting to fill properly with the typical amount of coats of the stuff. There isnt really much I can do about other than keep applying coats properly.
well hang in there ruzai! i wish i could offer some advice, but i'm at a loss.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

52 hours total of repair work. Was it worth the money someone would have paid in labor? Hardly. But I did learn several good lessons and didnt screw anything more valuable up. So, its kind of a win-win depending on which way you think about it.
During my time waiting on the stock to dry and finally seal up I've been working on a personal gun I baught at the Tanner Gun show last weekend. Its an old bolt action in 308 Win from JC Penny a Western Field model 780. The stock is ugly as home-made sin so I'm not gonna worry about it and buy one I can work on in my free time.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #19

Quote:
52 hours total of repair work. Was it worth the money someone would have paid in labor? Hardly. But I did learn several good lessons and didnt screw anything more valuable up. So, its kind of a win-win depending on which way you think about it.
During my time waiting on the stock to dry and finally seal up I've been working on a personal gun I baught at the Tanner Gun show last weekend. Its an old bolt action in 308 Win from JC Penny a Western Field model 780. The stock is ugly as home-made sin so I'm not gonna worry about it and buy one I can work on in my free time.
so what are your plans for the 308?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #20

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

That hole is a true mystery! I think you'll be OK silver soldering or welding it. When the bolt is fully retracted, do the lugs line up with that hole? Maybe somehow there was a burr or something interfering with the bolt and the previous owner just drilled a hole to alleviate the problem? I don't know, just trying to figure out why someone would do that!?
It seems like you have the stock figured out but I would have just gotten this:
12999 - Remington 7400 Monte Carlo Stock & Forend Synthetic Black
I have one on my 7600 and it's great.
Keep us informed with this project. I really like the Remington autos and pumps.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper