Remington 740 project
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington 740 project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Remington 740 project

Ok, so I've got a Remington 740 Woodsmaster in 30-06 Springfield and I just got it home. I'm supposed to start work on it Tuesday. I'm doing this project for a customer who just so happens to be my cousin. He loves to hog hunt in Texas and he wanted something other than his 870 with slugs. He paid $250 for the gun, I baught it under my name until I can fix and/or finish it.

So far at a cursory look over th gun its got a chip in the stock missing near the right side bottom corner. The fore-end has those god-awful vertical markings that are supposed to be some form of grip. The muzzle brake is ugly as home-made sin and worse off I saw a hole in the top of the reciiever. No clue how you get a neat little hole all the way through the curved part of the top of the reciever like this, but its there and I have to fix it.

I'm not complaining mind you, its kind of exciting I get to make this thing look fairly new and give it to a customer and show him the before and after.

So far what he wants done is bead blasted and blued, not hard...but I have to fix that hole first.
Secondly checkering on the pistol grip and we're still in the process of working out what to do with the fore-end's ugliness.
Need a new pistol grip end-cap for the stock.

So, who wants to help?

I'm kidding about the help obviously, this thread will just be for record and anyone else's entertainment as I document the fruits (and no doubt pains) of my labor.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #2

Liked 1421 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

I am sure you will definitely improve the rifle. Made me wonder who put the muzzle break on it. I recently bought a 740 in excellent condition from my UPS Man. His father had the gun for years and obviously hardly shot it a all. Paid $350 for it due to the condition it was in. So it is good to have a cousin like you since if anyone else had to do the work on it for him he would certainly have more money in the gun than it is worth. Now one in good shape is bringing around $275-$300.
Let us see the pics when you get her done! Looking forward to seeing it!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Where are the photos ????????????

Jim...

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Youtube was taking forever to load. No pictures, but video should do nicely right?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The hole in the top of the reciver is it taped because if it is then it is for mounting basses for optics. there should be four holes or three screws and one hole.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
The hole in the top of the reciver is it taped because if it is then it is for mounting basses for optics. there should be four holes or three screws and one hole.
F.K.
Nope. Just a random hole. No threads. Besides, the sope base is already on the gun.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Please keep updating us as your project goes along. I have a weak spot for the Woodsmaster series rifles. In fact I'm going to look at a 742 later today.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Complete disassembly and cleaning today. Lots of really small pins..like the super small retaining pin for the bolt handle. I found out that the older Woodsmasters in the 740 had several bugs in them that prompted the 742 and 7400 to be made as improvements to the design.
Apparently the early 740s like this one like to eat their own receivers. Something about the way the rotating bolt head comes to rest when its completely to the rear makes it start to cut into the receiver and if it gets too deep it causes the bolt to stick. I believe this was fixed with the 742 and 7400. Not saying they arent good, its just something look out for if you're in the market for one.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bead blasted and blued the barrel, reciever and exposed parts. Polished what needed to be polished on the bolt. Waiting on parts from Numrich's and to put the finishing touches on the stock and reassembly of the majority of the gun.
We dont have anodizing capabilities here at the school so I left the aluminum alone since it wasnt terrible.
Anybody got ideas for hiding scratches in aluminum?

Pictures soon to come on Monday evening.