Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington 721

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Remington 721

I have an older friend of mine that has this rifle. He shot at a nice buck and had blow back in his face and a cartridge stuck in the bolt. I think what happened was he didn't have the bolt all the way down. He never had any issue's with this gun, only shot at deer season same box of shells in 15yrs. So am I on the right track the bolt wasn't closed tight or is there any other issue's I should be looking at or could be? How could the head space get off if that could be the problem? I got the empty out of the bolt and will shoot it today. He is now paranoid to shoot it so any input would be very much appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Zeke- think you meant that a cartridge case was stuck in the chamber?

Other than the riveted in place extractor (cursed by better gunsmiths everywhere) those were durable, accurate rifles. You did not say what caliber. Photos of the cartridge case would help.

Think it is unlikely that headspace changed dramatically, absent someone unscrewing barrel. Possibly a bore obstruction? Bullet stuck in barrel, patch left in there, etc?

As far as an out of battery firing (bolt not closed) would be unusual- but a broken firing pin that protrudes from bolt face can fire a cartridge a soon as you bolt face contacts primer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Slight chance of over loaded cartridge but unlikely. Could have been flawed brass in the cartridge(unlikely). Could have been excess lube in the chamber that prevented the brass from sealing/gripping the chamber and therefore putting excess pressure against bolt face.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

Liked 125 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 251

As an owner of a Rem. 721 ( actually my favorite gun in my collection) I am interested in the outcome of this discussion. The only problem I have had was an issue with the safety/ trigger that allowed a discharge when set down on its' butt. (Long story, no one got hurt, and I learned a valuable lesson.)

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

1. The 721 does not have the riveted extractor.
2. Lubricant on the cartridge really has very little effect on bolt thrust.
3. Old brass can become brittle with age and split but this sounds like more than that.

It sounds like this is a rifle which does not get a lot of maintenance. I suspect there was debris in the barrel, in the chamber area, which caused an increase in pressure. The 721 is a very strong and safe action. If one is going to have a problem with pressure, a 721 is a good rifle in which to have it. GD

Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

c3 yes I meant cartridge case and it is a 270cal. Greydog yes I would have to say it do's not get much maintenance since it only gets brought out at gun deer season shot once before hunting then if no deer gets put back in cabinet. It was pretty dirty so I did give it a good cleaning and the bullets are pretty old like I said 15yrs or older. I did not get a chance to shoot it yesterday and being turkey day I will try to shoot it tomarrow. Thanks for your input on this issue and have a HAPPY THANKSGIVEING!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A loose primer pocket or oversized flash hole was probably the culprit if the ammo was skillfully loaded. The 721 extractor is the weakest part of the gun. I recommend the installation of a SAKO style extractor. The bolt lugs should be slightly greased to avoid gauling and hard primary extraction.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
A loose primer pocket or oversized flash hole was probably the culprit if the ammo was skillfully loaded. The 721 extractor is the weakest part of the gun. I recommend the installation of a SAKO style extractor. The bolt lugs should be slightly greased to avoid gauling and hard primary extraction.
i have to disagree about the clip extractor. that same design of extractor made it's way to the M725 which was just a fancier and nicer version of the M721/722, which in turn also made it's way to the M700 when it was debuted in 1962.

though i have never owned a M721/722, i have owned many, many M700's over the years, and have yet to see an extractor failure yet. that clip extractor design has been around since 1948. that's over 60 years with that design and millions of rifles from the M721/722, the M725 and the M700 that has been using it.

even if it were to fail, it can usually be fixed quite easily with the proper parts. which would be much cheaper that having the bolt modified for a Sako type extractor kit.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is cheap more important than reliable?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
Is cheap more important than reliable?
the Remington clip extractor has proven itself reliable for many years. how many have you ever seen broken? IMO, modifying the bolt for a Sako extractor, is looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

but if you feel the need to spend from $150-200 to modify the bolt to feel mose secure with your rifle, then by all means do so. if by some fluke reason i break one of mine, i'll be able to fix mine at the house for about $30-35.