Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington 700 Bolt won't close

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well what was wrong? are we just to be left hanging.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Being a dick to people who are trying to help you out is not very polite. YMMV

Maybe if you spent more time describing the problem than being a dick it would have been easier to help you.

Like what half way are you talking about? Half way closed as in the bolt moves forward and got stuck half way to the chamber or...... You went to put the bolt back in and you went to cam the bolt (That means closing it by rotating it) and you rotated it 45 deg and now it is stuck. From what you were saying in your OP it was the latter not the other way.

Last edited by cpttango30; 10-28-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Well what was wrong? are we just to be left hanging.
F.K.
I had so few responses and sarcastic ones at that I didn't feel it worth the time. Sorry about that, I do have better manners.

What was wrong? No idea. I took the suggestion of dropping the trigger assembly and that was interesting experience. I suggest anybody doing that have acres of clean surface, lots of small parts and springs to keep track of.

I dropped the trig. assbly but the bolt wouldn't go. So I worked the small amount of play I had with some generous squirts of lubricant. It popped loose after a bit. Okay halfway through Lonesome Dove. One of bolt lugs had a nasty jagged edge, maybe someone dropped it? Bad day at the factory? - I don't know. I honed it smooth and now locks up like butter.

The trig. assbly was a challenge but it was put back together and I'm fairly satisfied that its over.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Being a dick to people who are trying to help you out is not very polite. YMMV

Maybe if you spent more time describing the problem than being a dick it would have been easier to help you.

Like what half way are you talking about? Half way closed as in the bolt moves forward and got stuck half way to the chamber or...... You went to put the bolt back in and you went to cam the bolt (That means closing it by rotating it) and you rotated it 45 deg and now it is stuck. From what you were saying in your OP it was the latter not the other way.
I don't know you but calling me a dick is something your regs forbids. If it this was real world you'd be on your knees. Rude behaviour I do no tolerate.

If this is your way of conversing, I don't care for it and I'd rather you just walk the other way. I know you just go to have the last word, it doesn't matter to me but go ahead if it makes you feel better and I don't give a crap if you are some kind of honcho here.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperRogue View Post
I had so few responses and sarcastic ones at that I didn't feel it worth the time. Sorry about that, I do have better manners.

What was wrong? No idea. I took the suggestion of dropping the trigger assembly and that was interesting experience. I suggest anybody doing that have acres of clean surface, lots of small parts and springs to keep track of.

I dropped the trig. assbly but the bolt wouldn't go. So I worked the small amount of play I had with some generous squirts of lubricant. It popped loose after a bit. Okay halfway through Lonesome Dove. One of bolt lugs had a nasty jagged edge, maybe someone dropped it? Bad day at the factory? - I don't know. I honed it smooth and now locks up like butter.

The trig. assbly was a challenge but it was put back together and I'm fairly satisfied that its over.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Glad that you got it going.
In the future I have found that if I wasn't sure what I was taking apart, I get a large baggie and do my disassembly in that bag.
It makes it much easier to find the parts. ;-)

Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The trigger comment was a joke. You didn't explain the problem very well then when we or I ask a question about what is going on you just throw back that I didn't read. If you would have said I was putting the bolt back in the rifle and got it stuck half way in to the rifle. I would have agreed with you that it had nothing to do with the stock or the trigger. I would pointed to the lugs or raceway.
Glad to here you got it fixed. Did you check to make sure the raceway was not galled up? Also did you lap the lugs?

Yes the trigger can explode on you. I replaced my factory trigger with a timney.

A note on replacing the trigger don't ever send a remington back with an after market trigger they will pull it replace it with their crap and then charge you for it.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The trigger comment was a joke. You didn't explain the problem very well then when we or I ask a question about what is going on you just throw back that I didn't read. If you would have said I was putting the bolt back in the rifle and got it stuck half way in to the rifle. I would have agreed with you that it had nothing to do with the stock or the trigger. I would pointed to the lugs or raceway.
Glad to here you got it fixed. Did you check to make sure the raceway was not galled up? Also did you lap the lugs?

Yes the trigger can explode on you. I replaced my factory trigger with a timney.

A note on replacing the trigger don't ever send a remington back with an after market trigger they will pull it replace it with their crap and then charge you for it.

Thanks..didn't know that, I've changed all my Rifle triggers, Rem. & Sav.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks for letting us know what was wrong. This may help someone in the future.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping