Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Remington 700 Bolt won't close

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 700 Bolt won't close

Hello,

Hope someone can give me a solution or good suggestions. I ran it through the search data and I hope I followed the rules properly. At any rate; here she goes.

I have a Rem 700 .243. I was putting a new stock on it and as I wiped her down I noticed the bolt was "locked" halfway. There is a little play but it won't open or close. I immediately thought it was perhaps the scope mounting screws so loosened them and no dice.

Took it down to to the basics and noticed a few things; the safety won't budge and I don't believe it has anything to do with any of the screws.

My thoughts. I've never experienced this but I'm told maybe I engaged something inside the bolt? Extractor come to mind but I don't know. I thought maybe I left something inside the chamber (cleaning pad) but I don't believe so, I wasn't punching the bore. If that was so it may explain the binding.

If you got the time, I'd be pleased to hear suggestion and personal cures. Thank you.

I

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Since your installing a new stock, sounds like you should check the clearance.
Sometimes the stock needs to be cut to clear the safety.
May be hitting the trigger.

Maybe the action screws need to be adjusted(raise or lower the torque)

Last edited by Biohazard2; 10-27-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add line

Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #3

I thought so too but I have it out of the stock and no solution. The bolt seems to have locked halfway. A little play up and down but no movement otherwise. I'm tempted to just vise it and start torque'ing see what gives. I won't. I'm fairly certain it something to do with the bolt itself but I don't know.

I'm new to my area so I'm don't know of any gunsmiths. Phx maybe but I'd rather hear personal solutions and get myself out of this bind. I hope. lol

Thank you for your suggestions though. I will let you know if I do solve it, might help someone else. All about the sharing.

Last edited by SemperRogue; 10-27-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don`t force it. My guess is that it is something simple that you are missing and if you force it it could get alot worse. I just got done working on the bolt in a Savage. I spent acouple of days it, but it had several problems, all small, but together they gave me fits. BUT, when I put 3 rounds in a .460 group at 100 yrds. it made it all worth the time.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperRogue View Post
I thought so too but I have it out of the stock and no solution. The bolt seems to have locked halfway. A little play up and down but no movement otherwise. I'm tempted to just vise it and start torque'ing see what gives. I won't. I'm fairly certain it something to do with the bolt itself but I don't know.

I'm new to my area so I'm don't know of any gunsmiths. Phx maybe but I'd rather hear personal solutions and get myself out of this bind. I hope. lol

Thank you for your suggestions though. I will let you know if I do solve it, might help someone else. All about the sharing.
Pull the trigger pins and remove the trigger assy.
Once that is done there is nothing to hold the bolt but scope base screws and dirt.
LMK

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #6

I was looking at that, never done it (messed with trigger assembly) before but I think you're right it seems to be the logical solution.

Before I do Rem 700 invasive surgery I'm gonna pull the bolt of my .220 and eyeball that sucker but good.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

OMG SOMEONE CALL CNBC and tell them we have another bad remington trigger.

WHAT EVER>....

take some sharpie and color a little around the trigger area in the stock. Put the stock on and troque the bolts properly and then remove the stock and see if there are any marks in the marker.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OMG SOMEONE CALL CNBC and tell them we have another bad remington trigger.

WHAT EVER>....

take some sharpie and color a little around the trigger area in the stock. Put the stock on and troque the bolts properly and then remove the stock and see if there are any marks in the marker.
Read my post again, it has nothing to do with the stock.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

OK you just said you replaced teh stock then this problem arose. That would point me to the stock.

If you think it is the bolt then look at the bolt face.

1. Is the firing pin protruding?
If Yes you need to cock the bolt with a screw driver.
If NO then take a picture of the back underside of the bolt.

Other than that I am still saying it is the stock rubbing on the trigger. The trigger has lever and springs in it. When I was working on my Remington there was a slight bit of pressure on the front of the trigger housing which caused the bolt release to not work very smoothly i relieved a small amount of wood and my trigger felt better and everything functioned much better.

If not either one of them you broke something in the swap.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #10

You still didn't read my post, that's okay I fixed it. Thanks anyway.