Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Rem. 700 stock question??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Rem. 700 stock question??

Cpttango helped me out with info, but I'd like to throw this out to the forum=Is it normal, or usual to have to cut out/open the trigger guard channel for the trigger guard to fit, when changing out a Rem. factory wood stock for a Rem. factory composite stock?? Wanting to avoid banging up my beautiful laminate stock dragging it through the woods. The lighter weight would be good too! I'd really like to put on this black stock, but the trigger guard will not fit flush into the stock enough to start the action screws. Any help out there??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like you MAY have the wrong stock. Are you SURE you have the exact same model as the barreled action is? If everything else is the same, it is possible to inlet the stock to fit. I'd 1st check to see if you have the correct stock. Is it fitting in the stock as it should? Pics would help a LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Cpttango helped me out with info, but I'd like to throw this out to the forum=Is it normal, or usual to have to cut out/open the trigger guard channel for the trigger guard to fit, when changing out a Rem. factory wood stock for a Rem. factory composite stock?? Wanting to avoid banging up my beautiful laminate stock dragging it through the woods. The lighter weight would be good too! I'd really like to put on this black stock, but the trigger guard will not fit flush into the stock enough to start the action screws. Any help out there??

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It sounds like you MAY have the wrong stock. Are you SURE you have the exact same model as the barreled action is? If everything else is the same, it is possible to inlet the stock to fit. I'd 1st check to see if you have the correct stock. Is it fitting in the stock as it should? Pics would help a LOT!
Thanks for the reply, Bear. I haven't got the pict. thing up yet. The barreled action fits great into the stock. There is a raised seam on the casting around my factory trigger guard that will not clear into the channel on the underside of the black Rem. stock that I am trying to use. It has been suggested to me that I use a dermal tool to take a SMALL amount of material out of the stock around that area, until the trigger guard will fit?? My 700 is a Varmit Laminate Special in 6MM cal. The stock that I'm trying to use is a new take-off, from a 700 Tactical Rifle in .308=both short actions. The stock that I'm installing has the 3rd sling swivel stud up front and vent cuts across the front of the for end. I think it would work ok if I could get the trigger guard to fit. I was just surprised that it was not a drop in fit. One 700 short action to another. And yes, the black stock is opened up at the for end for the varmit diameter barrel. I believe to .820"??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Billybob it sounds like you just have to do some minor inletting with the Dremel. Be CAREFUL not to take too much off though!!! Grind a little, then check and repeat as many times as you have to until you get a perfect fit.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Billybob it sounds like you just have to do some minor inletting with the Dremel. Be CAREFUL not to take too much off though!!! Grind a little, then check and repeat as many times as you have to until you get a perfect fit.
That's kind of what I thought, Bear. I'm going to get a couple of med/fine drum type sanding disc for my dremel, and go a little at a time. Thanks for the reply. Bill.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976