rem 700 barrel swap
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > rem 700 barrel swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rem 700 barrel swap

i have a remington 700 in 338 win mag and i would like to screw on a 264 win mag barrel I am not getting anywhere with what Ive tried so far,anybody know the trick to solving my problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Are you wanting to do this yourself?

If so this process involves some specilized equipment the biggest is a barrel vice and a action wrench. Which can be had from Brownells.

Then you are going to need a 264 win mag barrel. There are many different manufactures out there. I like Kreiger and Bartlin for barrels. they both single point cut rifling which induces no stress on to the barrel. Bartlin was started by a few guys who left Kreiger too. Once you settle on your barrel it may or may not be chambered It is better to get it un-chambered and have it down with the action at the smith. This is not something you can do you self unfortunately. You're also going to need go no go gauges and plenty of other stuff like a lathe ect....... You can get prechambered pre cut barrels for a 700 but what is the point in that. that is like spending $2k to be a factory barrel back on.

You action will also need some work as well. This all adds time and money.

What I would do is this. Contact

Bob Green
3464 Messersmith Road
York, PA 17404
Phone: (717) 792-1069
Bob Green Home

I have seen and shot his work and it is very good and at a decent price. I was out shooting with a buddy of mine who juts had a Ruger 77/22 hornet rebarreled into a 17 AI Hornet. We were fire forming loads for it and still getting amazing groups at 100 yards. best of the day was a 5 shot .3" group I shot.

A barrel swap is not simple. there is a lot of machine work involved to do it right and look for this to cost you when your done. $1000 to $2500 depending on what you have done. Plus if you get a contour that doesn't match the stock contour of your factory barrel your going to have to either order a new stock or have the stock one reworked to fit a new barrel contour.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

I bought the barrel at a gun show for $20 and was looking for an easy swap . it is a new take off from a barrel maker known as bison barrels. He was cleaning out his shop and had a whole pile of barrels and stocks. Its a stainless fluted 26"factory barrel off of a sendero model. Ive had the barrel clamped in my wood vice with oak jaws and large wrenches with cloth over the contact points and much force on them. Is it really just having the right vice and wrench? or is there loctite on the threads that need dissolved first.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

In most cases, it is indeed necessary to have a proper barrel vise and wrench. For the Remington 700 it is common practice to use an inside wrench. It is critical that this wrench fit properly. If not, the receiver can be irreparably damaged.
700's frequently do have a low strength loctite on the threads. This is there more as a sealant than as a thread locker but it can make the job more difficult. A little heat from a heat gun can help.
Another potential problem which rears it's ugly head in the case of a remington 700 is the locating of the recoil lug. There are fixtures available for this or you can simply make a witness mark on the lug and receiver.
While the headspace is likely to be within specifications, it is always best to check this with a proper gauge after installing the barrel.
The odds against the writng on the barrel ending up in the right place and the flutes being timed right seems to be at least 250 to 1. I say this because I've swapped at least that many Remington barrels and yet to have one index correctly. Not a big deal unless you want to use the iron sights (not applicable in your case).
A gunsmith should be able to swap these barrels for you in about fifteen minutes and for thirty bucks or so. I think this is the best way to go if you have a reasonable 'smith in your area. GD

Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would stop where your at and take it to a smith. I have heard of shade tree gun smiths twisting 700 actions trying to take barrels off.....

Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #6

Thank you for the professional advice. I will not go get the cheater bar then.Yes, the gunsmith shop I use does overcharge me for simple tasks from trigger adjustments to barrel recrownwork its never under $100+. They quoted me a price of $80 to $160 to do the swap. I would like to go further with this myself and get the proper tooling to do the job. But this is maybe not the time to be cheap. [/I]

Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #7

thank you again for responding to my questions this has been a big help in deciding where to go from here. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated, and thankfor sharing it

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #8

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkman View Post
Thank you for the professional advice. I will not go get the cheater bar then.Yes, the gunsmith shop I use does overcharge me for simple tasks from trigger adjustments to barrel recrownwork its never under $100+. They quoted me a price of $80 to $160 to do the swap. I would like to go further with this myself and get the proper tooling to do the job. But this is maybe not the time to be cheap. [/I]
You will spend four times or more on the proper tooling to do the job. Take it to a good gunsmith for the barrel swap and have it done properly.

Jim..................

Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #9

I will definitely not do it myself, it will go to the pros.