Reinstalling a firing pin block.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Reinstalling a firing pin block.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reinstalling a firing pin block.

I just need to know it can be done so I don't screw anything up. The gun in question is multi purpose, so please don't go into discussion about why I should or shouldn't remove it.

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3532 Times on 2027 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

What gun? What is the "multi purpose".

The firing pin block is a "safety", and I do not advocate disabling any safety feature installed by the manufacturer.

If on a Series-80 type 1911, there should be no reason to remove it. I have been successful in getting good trigger pulls with the firing pin block mechanism in place.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Why would you want to remove the firing pin block? I'm not being critical, i've just never heard of any benefits that could be gained by doing it.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's the CZ SP01 custom mentioned in other posts. The guy at CZ wants me to buy a shadow model for 200 more because it doesn't have a firing pin. I can remove the block myself no problem, but have never attempted reinstalling one. When all is said and done, I'll have parts for a solid carry and target pistol on hand, and plan to switch them out accordingly, which is why I called it multi purpose. The firing pin block is one of those parts.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6825 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
Why would you want to remove the firing pin block? I'm not being critical, i've just never heard of any benefits that could be gained by doing it.
1911s dont need em. None of mine have them even my series 90 one is gone. Reason being its unneeded parts that can break and gum up the works and the trigger is a scootch better without. Its unsafe practice to carry a 1911 hammer down on a live roumd anyway. With the hammer back its got the safety and half cock notch to stop firing pin contact

In the case of a cz i would leave it unlike a 1911 designed to be carried cocked and safety on so no need for a block. The cz is designed to carry with hammer down. This a sharp blow to the hammer can set it off.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The man at CZ just informed me that in order to install the new slide, I'd have to remove the firing pin block. I have no problem with this, but when I put the original slide back in, can I put the firing pin block back in? That's my question.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's the basic story in a nutshell. CZ recently came out with a new array of "Shadow" models, factory customs made by CZ Customs. On of them is the CZ 75 Shadow CTS LS, which has a 5.4 inch upper in comparison to the 4.7" standard. They also offer the CZ75 SP01 model, which is an updated model of the classic CZ75b with better handling and a number of new features, including a rail. My plan is to have the long slide of the Shadow CTS LS installed on the SP01 frame, then as I get the more money, install the performence parts. CZ Custom wants $250 to install the upper onto the frame, which is obviously a rip. He also wants me to buy a Shadow SP01 from his shop, which cost $280 more and comes with parts I'm going to end up replacing on the basis of it not having a firing pin block, which I myself can remove with no issue. I'm sure if there's nothing beyond the the new slide getting fitted, I'll have no trouble finding a gunsmith who could install it no problem for a fraction of the price. The reason I want to know about the firing pin, is when it's all done, I'll have a complete upper for the basic SP01 on hand, which would make a great carry. If I can reinstall a safety feature, I will, but the long slide is made so it won't accept a firing pin block, and so I want to know I can put the it back on when I intend to carry. That's it. Please don't ask me about why I want to do this. Please, someone just tell me yes or no.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3532 Times on 2027 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Any part that can be removed without tools should be capable of being reinstalled.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)