A redneck lathe - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > A redneck lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I just believe in using the proper tool for the job.

Your not going to drive nails with a butter knife are you? Just like your not going to try and shoot a 308 in a 30-06.

A drill is a drill a lathe is a lathe.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #22

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The OP is talking about making a part in a pinch. Of course a lathe can do the job faster and more efficiently but I have made pins and even needle valves to close tolerances with a drill press.I've made followers for Marlin 60 that put OEM followers to shame. They worked well and in most cases were better than factory parts. The OP is not building firearms and with common sense and ingenuity it can be done. So if I need a part that is unavailable I'm probably not going to spend $500 on a machine and tooling to make a part I can duplicate on my drill press. If you can afford to I am happy for you but a lot of us can't. Then again, what do I know, as far as one person in this thread is concerned, I'm an idiot.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #23

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
as far as one person in this thread is concerned, I'm an idiot.
There's a few here that need to look in a mirror if they want to see idiocy.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
The OP is talking about making a part in a pinch. Of course a lathe can do the job faster and more efficiently but I have made pins and even needle valves to close tolerances with a drill press.I've made followers for Marlin 60 that put OEM followers to shame. They worked well and in most cases were better than factory parts. The OP is not building firearms and with common sense and ingenuity it can be done. So if I need a part that is unavailable I'm probably not going to spend $500 on a machine and tooling to make a part I can duplicate on my drill press. If you can afford to I am happy for you but a lot of us can't.
A lathe is nothing but a stationary tool that hold an item and spin it (usually a mounted motor and a chuck) and means to aid cutting/shaping that item. A drill press in my mind can qualify as a (vertical) lathe. Lay it sideways and it is basically a lathe. You might want to have some form of a tool rest but it is optional. Cutting tool can be gouges or sandpaper (depending on the project, might take longer )!

I DEEPLY ADMIRE people who make do with what they have.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I DEEPLY ADMIRE people who make do with what they have.

The OP is not building firearms and with common sense and ingenuity it can be done.

Some people count on the best tool so much but their skill/talent level usually doesn't really take advantage of it that much.
don't assume that those of use with accesss to the proper machinery and
the knowledge to know the limitations of a drill press when compared to a
lathe are ignorant, have no common sense, ingunuity, talent or skill

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lets face it fellows- a machine made mass produced part has no SOUL. A custom hand fabricated part has an indefinable feel to it. After all- the very first lathe was hand-made by an ignorant uneducated REDNECK with a FILE.

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Last edited by rodent.22; 06-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
don't assume that those of use with accesss to the proper machinery and the knowledge to know the limitations of a drill press when compared to a lathe are ignorant, have no common sense, ingunuity, talent or skill
No one said that. Read the entire posts please.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Read the entire posts
I did

Old 06-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #29

Liked 1134 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 584

If you think back it is amazing how they built machines like that 150-200 ago with nothing to go by and nothing more than premitive hand tools . Alomst like what came first the chicken or the egg ? I will stand behind my op that I have made certain NLA parts using old screw drivers , a drill and a light grit sandpaper for the final cuts , im not milling ar's here , my basic point was ... hell i dont even know anymore , leave it to some with out imagination to jump on someones case . Im sure some people gave Mikhail Kalashnikov hell before he came up with a working version of the most popular and most recognized gun ever made . Its not the machine its the builder , hell , china has all kinds of machines to build stuff and it still wont work

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
I did

Then you misunderstood the posts. It is a praise to those who make do with less than ideal equipment...NOT a stab at those who have them (HUGE difference).

If you are referring to the part that I said "SOME people count on the best tool so much but their skill/talent level usually doesn't really take advantage of it that much. " Note the word SOME. Unless you fall under that category, you should be okay.

It is like SOME people buying $5,000 dollar sub-MOA rifle and still cannot hit the broad side of a barn. Believe it or not, they do exist.