Rebarreling an old mauser
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Rebarreling an old mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rebarreling an old mauser

I have a 7X57 spanish mauser thats been slightly sporterized the barrels shot out of but the rest of the guns ready to go hunt. i already have other rifles to take its place. I seen the adams and bennet barrels at midway usa and seen one that caught my eye a .458 winchester magnum somethin unique and large and in charge after i looked it up i want it. How easy/hard would it be to convert the bolt to the round and rebarreling the mauser? Price n time ?? Thanks for any info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison View Post
I have a 7X57 spanish mauser thats been slightly sporterized the barrels shot out of but the rest of the guns ready to go hunt. i already have other rifles to take its place. I seen the adams and bennet barrels at midway usa and seen one that caught my eye a .458 winchester magnum somethin unique and large and in charge after i looked it up i want it. How easy/hard would it be to convert the bolt to the round and rebarreling the mauser? Price n time ?? Thanks for any info
These are good barrel makers but i would try kreiger baarrels they can make the barrel and also i think they can take the receiver and headspace them and other stuff for a prices. Check to see if you live nere a gunsmith who has been at it a while they could tell ya if it can be done and if the price is to high. Maynard

Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

I will be getting a German Mauser shortly, beat up wood barrel shot out.
but the action and bolt are in good condition, I will be remaking it into
a nice hunting rifle. I am leaning toward chambering it into a .338 Federal
the head of the .338 and 8x57 is the same. I have a list around here
of the round with the same head a the 7/8x57 Mauser.

I will post it if I find it.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

I have this book it is an excellent book on Mausers and their variants.

Very thorough.

The Mauser Bolt Actions: M91 Through M98 A Shop Manual Book by Jerry Kuhnhausen

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #5

Apra**** it id like to keep 7x57 its very nice balisticly but i think somethin out there would be fun specialy on hogs a .458 win mag would be awesome but thanks for info ill talk to a gunsmith bout it and krieger barrels huh ill look at it and the book will be good literature in the quest thanks good hunting !!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

You need to get someone that has done this several times, the head space is critical, you must get it right for the gun to work properly. I have screwed one up before and unless you are a good gunsmith, I wouldn't try it. I've even seen one with the front sight an eighth of an inch off and it looked like crap.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

patrick, i'm going to throw in my two cents worth on the matter. a person with mechanical aptitude could rebarrel a mauser with the proper tools. it's not too difficult if you pay attention to what you're doing and take your time. okay, reality check here, unless you plan on doing several, it's not really cost effective to do one rifle.

the tools you will need: barrel vise to hold the barrel. $60-100. an action wrench to turn the action on the barrel. $50-75. finish reamer to ream the chamber to size. $100-150. headspace gauges to check the headspace. $50-75. depth micrometer to do the measuring. $75-150. then you will need the barrel in whatever caliber you want. $150-400. and if you wanted to do several, then you at the very least need reamers and headspace gauges for any caliber you wanted to do. so only wanting to do one rifle, costwise it would be better to let a barrel maker or a gunsmith do the job.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #8

Default Rebarrelling

and you would have to open up the boltface to accept the magnum cartridge or buy and headspace the magnum bolt

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman770 View Post
and you would have to open up the boltface to accept the magnum cartridge or buy and headspace the magnum bolt
very true on the bolt face, if going to a magnum caliber. do they make a magnum bolt for the mauser's?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Probably not a good idea because:

You'd need to open the bolt face.
You'd probably need to change the feed rails to get the much fatter 458 cartridge to feed. (a job for an experienced gunsmith)
Your 7x57 is probably a small ring, and rebarreling one to a full pressure round is not a good idea. No, it probably won't blow up, but gas handling isn't as sophisticated as on a large ring.

In short, don't do it.