Rear sight hole goes through to inside barrel ??

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Rear sight hole goes through to inside barrel ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rear sight hole goes through to inside barrel ??

I have an Encore 209x50 Muzzle loader barrel. I got it from a guy a while back at a good price...I got it out this year for Deer season and cleaned it up. It has a scope base on it and it has the small set screws in where the rear sight used to be...I took the screws out where the rear sight used to be..One of the holes goes all the way through to the inside of the barrel. So now what do I do..I did contact the guy and he said he shot it and it never messed up on him, but knowing my luck it would blow up on me. So how do I fix this ?? I really don't want to just put the screw back in and fire away !! He did have lock tite on the threads but I don't want to go back down that road....any suggestions on how to fix this ?? I do Gunsmithing on the side and have built several 10/22's and Glocks but I have never run into this problem...I can't tell if the guy messed up the thread and decided to retap the hole with a larger tap. If he did he got carried away with the drill and went all the way through..I looked inside the barrel and it is clean and has no marks inside....HELP ME !!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not much you can do - get a refund! While it is unlikely that the screw will blow-out (BP pressures are a lot lower), it's still a possibility, and loc-tight or silver solder won't be strong enough to sustain pressures that may shear the threads, so he basicallyy ruined the barrel! Get your money back!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-08-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try to get your money back-if that's not possible measure the thickness of the barrel side where the hole is. Install that length plug screw minus about .100" to allow so that it doesn't extend into bore using loctite (orange). Trial shoot with 150 gr of powder, accuracy test. If it passes the tests use it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the help guys...I really can't get my money back since I bought the barrel off ebay...I have bought a lot of stuff off ebay and never got burned...I guess I did this time..I will try to plug the barrel and will try to get a hold of Thompson Center and see what they think as well...Thanks for the help and if it works with a plug in it I will post a reply. I will let you know how it works..

Thanks,

Glock17tj...