a real cannon - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > a real cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default real cannon

that's right. the ammo is on gov't contract for it's 300.00 vs 50.00 is produced for the civilian market

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Here's my cannon. I can drive a golf ball further than Tiger Woods.

canon-small.jpg  

Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #23

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

very nice pmanton

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #24

Location: Knoxville is about about 114 miles West of me~,I live in Far East TN 'daddy oh' !

Very nice. Did you buy it or make it? I like the detail and most of all it shoots a real ammo. Have you tried heavier shot. like a lead ball? I wonder do heavier projectiles make for higher chamber pressures?

Rev

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #25

Location: Knoxville is about about 114 miles West of me~,I live in Far East TN 'daddy oh' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman770 View Post
here ya go. get 'em while there hot!
20MM Take-Down Rifle - Anzio Ironworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoShooter View Post
keep in mind said firearm would basically be shooting 300 dollar bills...
Oh, Ho oh ho ! I have to go to a range and shoot one! At near 7k I can't afford one but that is exactly what I was thinking of! Maybe one day! In a disaster situation it would be superb because I live on a top of a mount (or will the foundation is going down now). As for the cost of ammo with the range and devastation of one HE round compared to mags full of 5.56 etc ammo it would be worth its price ha ha! It’s beautiful really....sigh...

revc4

Just some small talk about my future bug out place (God willing);

The photo is a of the land where the mission, (a semi paramilitary as well as a Christian humanitarian non profit origination) as well as a church and patronage will set, ok, so its going to be a a micro affair. I shot this pic from the back porch of my city home and is a mile or so away from the mount. BTW my home for sale soon to finance construction. Actually it's is a shot of my ‘to be’ bug out place, I have the foundation piers dug out but that’s about all.

Every time I am up there I can not resist thinking what a wonderful place for ‘Gods gun’ (the 155mm) or maybe a smaller gun. Even a 20mm would be effective if infidels overrun us, ha ha, yes its a fantasy, one has to be careful as to what we say even in jest, and that is not what our founding fathers wanted for us eh?
The mount overlooks the entire little city I call home. The sign is 18ft by 32 ft and says ‘Jesus is Love’ which originally said ‘Jesus is lord’ and there are three crosses made of telephone poles and sawmill lumber to the left of the sign. Ok end of story unless anyone is interested in a cheap home or a limited amount of land. (if this last comment is not allowed please delete it or I will).

RevSee4

Last edited by RevSee4; 06-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #26
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSee4 View Post
Very nice. Did you buy it or make it? I like the detail and most of all it shoots a real ammo. Have you tried heavier shot. like a lead ball? I wonder do heavier projectiles make for higher chamber pressures?

Rev
It was lathe turned out of brass billet. The golf ball size bore ends short ot the trunnions. The powder chamber is .50 and extends down to the touch hole. A 35mm can of fine grain black powder does wonders. I made the thing back in the 70s and haven't gotten around to finishing up the carriage yet

I've never fired anything heavier than a golf ball. Mostly it just makes noise on the 4th of July. I did crack a kitchen window once from the muzzle blast when I fired it in the back yard.
Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #27

It's a nice piece of work pmanton. I wondered if it was turned on a lathe (vs cast). I like stuff like that, as a boy I built model rockets and various things that most of the time went ‘BOOM’ and feel very lucky to have all my digits and extremities intact. I found Harley Davidson’s and impacting various immovable objects with said motorcycle much more painful and bone crushing than any explosive device I cobbled together as a kid.

Speaking of black powder, did you happen to see the discovery channels program where a couple of experimenters and experts were testing different propellants in a home made cannon ? The bore was huge, and looked to be about the size of a tennis ball, but they didn’t use too much powder etc. They tested three recipes, traditional black powder, ’flash’ powder, and gasoline (they never did say how they got the gas to mix with air). Anyway all were equal measures, and appeared to be about a few oz each. The gas/air mix was about ¼ more powerful than the flash powder which was second most powerful, with gunpowder being last. They used a high speed cam with one foot calibrations painted on a field to determine the speed of the projectile.

revc4

Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #28

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

pmanton-
Are the pivot pins brazed on?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.