a real cannon - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > a real cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 230

You can legally build muzzle-loading cannons. Bore size does not matter. Deep hole drilling is a real pain. Some people use pipe with one end welded shut but these are for light loads only and even then many don't trust them. Few have the facilities to cast their own cannon barrels. Actual useable cannons can be purchased and can be found on Ebay and other sites(both antique and new manufacture). Often sold as "signal" cannons for liability reasons. Shooting cannons is fun entertainment for the whole family. Maybe not the best thing for heavily populated areas. I would suggest shooting south across the border.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #12

Location: Knoxville is about about 114 miles West of me~,I live in Far East TN 'daddy oh' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
You can legally build muzzle-loading cannons. Bore size does not matter. Deep hole drilling is a real pain. Some people use pipe with one end welded shut but these are for light loads only and even then many don't trust them. Few have the facilities to cast their own cannon barrels. Actual useable cannons can be purchased and can be found on Ebay and other sites(both antique and new manufacture). Often sold as "signal" cannons for liability reasons. Shooting cannons is fun entertainment for the whole family. Maybe not the best thing for heavily populated areas. I would suggest shooting south across the border.

"I would suggest shooting south across the border" My kind of guy! Ha ha. I am pretty much live and let live. I know the Mexicans and south Americans want to come here to make a life for their kids and family. If done legally I haven’t a problem with that if we have enough resources for our own first. I do think we need a stricter means test for ALL nationalities that pine to become Americans. I admire those people that have saved up cash and truly want to become American citizen, its flattering by proxy.

What I detest is those Mexicans etc that will not learn English and that couldn’t care less about THEIR new country, their new culture and history etc. Or even worse I truly detest* the MS-13 type of murderous gangbanging thugs that terrorize our long term citizens…ahhh’ reckon I digress eh?

*(I know this hate harms my Christian faith but sometimes making a whip out of cord is necessary)

rev

Oh almost forgot the on topic thing! Yes I toyed with the idea of making low yield cannon for the bang. Then there was the time I was interested in HARP…Hey thanks for the technical advice! I have decided if I really want a large cal. Weapon I will save for a couple decades and buy a .50 BMG and wait on someone to do the development work on the 20 > 30 mm. By then I might be safely in my grave by them where my wants won’t hurt me…

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Legally (as far as the Feds) a cannon that uses loose powder, is loaded from the muzzle, etc, is not a firearm, nor a destructive device. If you want to sit down with 500 pounds of brass, and a really sharp pocket knife, and whittle yourself a Napoleon smoothbore, you can do it. I made a canon for salutes for a friend when he got a boat (48 footer). Lathe turned the barrel from brass, bored with a .750 bit. While is intended for signalling, it will hum a 12 g slug thru a few 2x6s. If you want to scale it up, select a bore diameter that will accept an aluminum beer can. Other than stealing the pile of cannonballs from the cannon down at the courthouse, ammo is very hard to find- and a beer can filled with concrete will do a 1000 yards easy.

Of course, there IS the Bowling Ball Mortar- start with a scrapped oxygen tank and a bowling ball.......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #14

Location: Knoxville is about about 114 miles West of me~,I live in Far East TN 'daddy oh' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Legally (as far as the Feds) a cannon that uses loose powder, is loaded from the muzzle, etc, is not a firearm, nor a destructive device. If you want to sit down with 500 pounds of brass, and a really sharp pocket knife, and whittle yourself a Napoleon smoothbore, you can do it. I made a canon for salutes for a friend when he got a boat (48 footer). Lathe turned the barrel from brass, bored with a .750 bit. While is intended for signalling, it will hum a 12 g slug thru a few 2x6s. If you want to scale it up, select a bore diameter that will accept an aluminum beer can. Other than stealing the pile of cannonballs from the cannon down at the courthouse, ammo is very hard to find- and a beer can filled with concrete will do a 1000 yards easy.

Of course, there IS the Bowling Ball Mortar- start with a scrapped oxygen tank and a bowling ball.......

An oxygen tank eh? Yes they would have to be made from good steel! I would be afraid I would may hurt someone with that (accidentally of course!) bowling ball mortar, the range would have to be a half a mile or more! I love pyrotechnics, rocketry and even chemistry that is related to those things, still they make me nervous if they of my own design! The reason I was thinking smooth bore is because many of the the hi velocity tank cannon does not use a rifled bore, and of course the ease of making a sooth bore vs. a rifled bore. If I were going to really attempt to make a 20mm I would probably search out a salvageable cannon barrel, and a few choice parts from surplus, then maybe use a .50 BMG bolt action 'receiver'. Unless I had won the lottery, and could design and have built everything from scratch!

Part of the reason I began thinking about the 20mm rifle or high velocity smooth bore is the success of the .50 BMG, especially as a sniper rifle. It seems if a .50 is good a 20mm would be very good! Maybe the .50 is the limit of a snipers needs. However we see constant development of faster, more powerful, more accurate and sometimes smaller cal. Bullets and firearms for sniper use.

As a layperson I don’t even know if the ballistics and range of the 20 mm is better than the BMG, I was just guessing. I do remember asking a similar question around 35 years ago to a knowledgeable person (in the army) why a .50 bmg sniper rifle is not on the market etc. The reply was that the .50 was too big, too heavy, and not practical (between laughing at me) Ha ha.. So I am still asking those questions eh?

Thanks for all your replies and advivce* this is a great forum.

RevC4

Advice this good usally costs me!

Last edited by RevSee4; 06-07-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #15

Liked 103 Times on 67 Posts

There is nothing illegal about building a muzzle loading cannon of any size.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

any testing of home built jobbers should be done using a very long slow fuse to give you time to get away and into cover before the bom....errr cannon goes off.

then you got the pleasent task of deciding just when or if it is safe to reload as there could be a hot spark or two hiding in the bore. common issue with canoneers way back when.

hurling toilets with a trebuchet sounds more fun to me than old timey canons heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
There is nothing illegal about building a muzzle loading cannon of any size.
Yes that makes sense however I would guess that laws vary from state to state and from city to city about the amount of powder and where one tests it ?

RevC4

Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #18

QUOTE=JonM;519878]any testing of home built jobbers should be done using a very long slow fuse to give you time to get away and into cover before the bom....errr cannon goes off.

then you got the pleasent task of deciding just when or if it is safe to reload as there could be a hot spark or two hiding in the bore. common issue with canoneers way back when.

hurling toilets with a trebuchet sounds more fun to me than old timey canons heh.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree! I love the pumpkin throws and anything mechanical, pyrotechnics, firearms, explosives, rocketry (one of my favorites, esp hi power rockery) aeronautics, too bad (or maybe luckily) I don’t have the funds to pursue very many hobbies!

Most of the hi dollar fireworks use mortars. As a kid I was lucky to have a mentor that steered me away from making black powder bombs and rocket motors to the pre packaged Estes rockets schooling that would steer me in the direction of chemistry etc. In the army (101st) I applied for sapper (Hence my screen name Rev C-4), but due first a colorblind situation I was relegated to and talked into ranger training and then after blowing out a knee on my first jump I was steered to a PsyOps Mos working on AG row in various posts.

What I am getting around to is that I belive sweet Jesus has been active in my life steering me away from explosives ha ha ~ eh?

RevC4

Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #19

Default 20 MM rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSee4 View Post
"I would suggest shooting south across the border" My kind of guy! Ha ha. I am pretty much live and let live. I know the Mexicans and south Americans want to come here to make a life for their kids and family. If done legally I haven’t a problem with that if we have enough resources for our own first. I do think we need a stricter means test for ALL nationalities that pine to become Americans. I admire those people that have saved up cash and truly want to become American citizen, its flattering by proxy.

What I detest is those Mexicans etc that will not learn English and that couldn’t care less about THEIR new country, their new culture and history etc. Or even worse I truly detest* the MS-13 type of murderous gangbanging thugs that terrorize our long term citizens…ahhh’ reckon I digress eh?

*(I know this hate harms my Christian faith but sometimes making a whip out of cord is necessary)

rev

Oh almost forgot the on topic thing! Yes I toyed with the idea of making low yield cannon for the bang. Then there was the time I was interested in HARP…Hey thanks for the technical advice! I have decided if I really want a large cal. Weapon I will save for a couple decades and buy a .50 BMG and wait on someone to do the development work on the 20 > 30 mm. By then I might be safely in my grave by them where my wants won’t hurt me…
here ya go. get 'em while there hot!
20MM Take-Down Rifle - Anzio Ironworks

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #20

keep in mind said firearm would basically be shooting 300 dollar bills...