Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > a real cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Knoxville is about about 114 miles West of me~,I live in Far East TN 'daddy oh' !
Default a real cannon

Hello all. Well I did not know where to post this so I will inflict my dreams on the smiths' ha ha. There was a time say maybe 20 years ago if you mentioned that one day there would be a popular .50 BMG semi automatic built and sold, you might get funny looks. So don’t laugh too hard when I ask this; Would it be possible to build a fairly lightweight say comparable to common .50 BMG's 20 mm shoulder fired or bi-pod rifle or smooth bore?

I know that it would have to have a mother or all dampers built in somewhere ! And it probably would have to be built from some exotic metals and composites. I am not asking if it would be practical (most fun things aren’t eh) …just asking if it would be semi practical ! Would it be legal?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Rev

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The Leader 50 BMG
leader50bmg.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Anything using a self contained cannon type shell is a nfa weapon considered a destruuctive devvice all nfa rules apply.

I donnt think a cannonbal type gun you find on pirate shipss fall underr those rules.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8416 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

When you exceed .50 cal, unless you can demonstrate a "sporting use", such as the 12 g shotgun, or .600 Nitro Express, you are building a "Destructive Device." This is a Class III firearm, regulated by the BATFE. If you do not do the paperwork first, no problem. You will have 10 years to fill out the paperwork. Your new roomate, Bubba, may help with the paperwork.

There WAS a gent building a single shot that fired the 30mm round used in the GAU-8 gun on the Warthog. He came to the attention of authorities when he had an accidental discharge and blew up a gas station in Northern VA. Not joking, it happened. Put a round into the gas pumps.

Anzio Ironworks is currently building a 20mm rifle.

As far as exotic materials and buffers- no, not really. Check the Mauser 1918-T Gewehr of World War I, and the Soviet PTRD or PTRS-41 of WW II.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

Location: Knoxville is about about 114 miles West of me~,I live in Far East TN 'daddy oh' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Anything using a self contained cannon type shell is a nfa weapon considered a destruuctive devvice all nfa rules apply.

I donnt think a cannonbal type gun you find on pirate shipss fall underr those rules.

Hi my friend. I am ex military (101st airborne) and I also worked at aero jet in Jonesborough TN as an machinist metallurgy ‘consultant’* making the (first that I know of ) 20mm anti tank rounds from depleted uranium in the mid 70‘s. Which were basically a big plastic coated bullet made from DU.

Then in the military I shot a 20mm cannon and this one anyway, the ammo looked like a huge .50 cal. Anyway its different than a cannon ball! However a shotgun type device did shoot whatever one could cram in the barrel back in the day of Mr Blue Beard and on up into fairly modern history, the 1800’s (just guessing). Thanks for your reply!

* A fancy name for someone the machinist asked technical questions, I was still a student back then!

rev

Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
When you exceed .50 cal, unless you can demonstrate a "sporting use", such as the 12 g shotgun, or .600 Nitro Express, you are building a "Destructive Device." This is a Class III firearm, regulated by the BATFE. If you do not do the paperwork first, no problem. You will have 10 years to fill out the paperwork. Your new roomate, Bubba, may help with the paperwork.

There WAS a gent building a single shot that fired the 30mm round used in the GAU-8 gun on the Warthog. He came to the attention of authorities when he had an accidental discharge and blew up a gas station in Northern VA. Not joking, it happened. Put a round into the gas pumps.

Anzio Ironworks is currently building a 20mm rifle.

As far as exotic materials and buffers- no, not really. Check the Mauser 1918-T Gewehr of World War I, and the Soviet PTRD or PTRS-41 of WW II.
Ha ha yes, man blew up a gas station! Wow Additionally, I think I would have checked the laws before attempting a prototype. 30mm eh? Is the 20mm round now obslelete? I was fairly sure one would have to have a 'tax stamp' for something like that. Thanks for the good info and I will hit the web after this!

Rev

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8416 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

No, the 20 mm is still around, in a couple of forms- mainly aircraft cannon. But the GAU-8 designed around a 30 mm round for punching holes ALL THE WAY THRU a tank- and it seems to do that quite well. There is also a 25 mm cannon in the form of the Hughes Chain Gun used on the M2 Bradley.

As long as we are looking at doing really insane things with firearms, there was the 40 mm Bofors cannon from WW II........

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
No, the 20 mm is still around, in a couple of forms- mainly aircraft cannon. But the GAU-8 designed around a 30 mm round for punching holes ALL THE WAY THRU a tank- and it seems to do that quite well. There is also a 25 mm cannon in the form of the Hughes Chain Gun used on the M2 Bradley.

As long as we are looking at doing really insane things with firearms, there was the 40 mm Bofors cannon from WW II........

40mm! Ear protection mandatory! (even with my AR). Man 40mm! That almost makes me emotional, in a love way! Ha ah ...I am into extreme things. The only bad thing is my age and my fat is now severely limiting my adventures!

The reason I was interested in a fantasy 20 or 30 mm firearm was except for my love for firearms and anything mechanical, is that I think it would make a splendid addition for a Jeffersonian defense. I suppose I am paranoid, but I simply don’t trust government. Not that I think they will try anything dumb, no, our slavery will be won by a thousand cuts enabled by our apathy and ignorance. But I am getting off topic, and thanks for the info and especially the trivia..

rev

Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I may or may not know a person who may or may not have built a cannon out of an old Cat D8 dozer axle two pieces of angle iron and some pins.

The axle may or may not have been cut to aprox 24" in length and using a deep hole drill or small boring bar it may or may not have been bored to just over .690" in dia for 22" of the the axle length. Then 2.250" forward of the rear of the axle it may or may not have had a flash like hole sized to fit typical cannon fuse you can buy in the sporting goods store. It may or may not have been used on the fourth of July for noise. It has never fired a projectile other than wadded up paper.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I may or may not know a person who may or may not have built a cannon out of an old Cat D8 dozer axle two pieces of angle iron and some pins.

The axle may or may not have been cut to aprox 24" in length and using a deep hole drill or small boring bar it may or may not have been bored to just over .690" in dia for 22" of the the axle length. Then 2.250" forward of the rear of the axle it may or may not have had a flash like hole sized to fit typical cannon fuse you can buy in the sporting goods store. It may or may not have been used on the fourth of July for noise. It has never fired a projectile other than wadded up paper.

Fantastic...er I mean...Wink wink ha ha...I have often wondered if axle steel would make a good gun barrel, of course you wouldnt know!

As a side note I would love to get into making 'ceremonial' cannon, I have some black powder experience as well as some rocket motor making experience, but every time I give it serious thought I remember how forgetful I am and that does not go well with explosives eh?

rev