re barrel question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > re barrel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OK I am not tracking here. If the barrel needs recesses milled into it for the barrel to fit properly and they are not there then the barrel can't fit properly and your headspace would be off.

How did you check headspace?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #12

this is what the end of the barrel on a savage boltaction rifle looks like. they use a locking nut to hold the barrel at the depth desired

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23207&stc=1&d=12937763 09

i checked the headspace with a go and no guage and set it rather tight on the go guage for limited stretch in the case as il be reloading

146893317.jpg  

Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #13

iv attatched a picture of my old barrel and the original bolt aswell as what the new bolts look like (curtosey of midway)

note the recess doesnt support the nose of the bolt as the hole is 3mm oversize so a 1.5mm gap all around

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23209&stc=1&d=12937894 20

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23210&stc=1&d=12937894 20

3006-barrell-old-bolt.jpg   461219.jpg  

Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If I am following you correctly you need a new bolt head to get more threads. Again, easy to get here, but you are over there.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OK the biggest problem I see in the pictures above is that the case head is not going to have any support by the barrel or action. That is a major concern for me. That will cause you to lose part of your face at some point in time.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If he's using a NEW style barrel with a NEW style bolt head he'll be ok. He can't use a new style barrel with the old style bolt head. If both are new style or both are old style they're ok as long as they match.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
this is what the end of the barrel on a savage boltaction rifle looks like. they use a locking nut to hold the barrel at the depth desired

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23207&stc=1&d=12937763 09

i checked the headspace with a go and no guage and set it rather tight on the go guage for limited stretch in the case as il be reloading
Johan,
As you have surmised, everything about the conversion is just fine (headspace, cartridge head support, etc.) except for the reduced thread engagement. If you truly have 12 MM of thread, you should be OK. This is, providing the threads in the receiver and on the barrel are complete and a decent fit. This is not a common occurence on the Savage.
You could replace the bolt head but, be aware, you will also have to replace the firing pin which will then be too long.
So, in order of preference, you may:
1. Machine the recess and deepen the chamber.
2. Replace the bolt head and firing pin
3. Use the barrel as is and worry about it every time you shoot.
There you have it. While I think it is probably safe enough, I would not use it the way it is and would certainly not send it out of the shop that way. GD

Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default gun smithing

with your knowledge and the needs you have addressed ,you yourself could take advantage of the situation ... start your own shop.,as you said cant find a gunsmith in your area ...that means no competition...you could make $$$$$ ...not very many people work doing what they love.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #19

hi been real busy hense no reply in whyle.
the threads fit perfectly smooth with next to no movement but not the sort caused when binding. also the 12mm is a safe measurement there is more but it is tapering off.
i have fired it and it all operated fine no evidense of a problem when inspecting the case.
in reply to what cpttango3 said the face recieves no reinforcing or encasing from the barrel in the original design either. the recess the bolt protrudes into is far bigger than the bolt head. all force is returned to the locking lugs and the combination of the locking lugs and baffle for locating the face.
looking at brownells website it worked out prety cheep to purchase the new head and firing pin (for both length but also they have redused the pin diameter). so i will have to see if customes finds it and if not see how much they need modifying to fit.

id love to start up as a gunsmith but just become qualified as civil engineer. and not had enough experience as yet in metal work. im starting to collect machinery so i mite be able to retire to one