re barrel question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > re barrel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default re barrel question

hi i have a model 110 savage that was in 3006 the rifle is getting old and straying so hav bought a new replacement in 2506. it turnes out tht my rifle has one of the verry first bolt heads making the bolt 5mm longer, as a result the original barrel has a recess for the nose of the bolt to extend into. my new barrel hasnt got this recess and i can only get 12mm of thread into the reciever instead of 17mm with the original. i would like a second oppinion on whether it will be safe to use the rifle with the reduced thread as the alternative is having it remachined or buying a new bolt head and firing pin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

NO IT IS NOT. Your head spacing is going to way off. Send the barrel back and get the right one.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
NO IT IS NOT. Your head spacing is going to way off. Send the barrel back and get the right one.
I am going to second what was Tango's second opinion. You need to get the right barrel, or have the barrel professionally fit.

JD

Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can machine the barrel for the recess if you really know what you're doing. I'd suggest you have it installed like Dillinger and Tango says.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

hi
i have checked headspace and is correct. the savage rifles use a locking nut to set headspace replacing the machined shoulder that other brands rely on. i would have it remachined but im having difficulty finding someone with a 2506 ream that is near to where i live. the only problem i can see is how the threads will hold out long term

Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

It's a simple matter to rent reamers in the USA. I doubt you can rent reamers in NZ however. A finish reamer isn't that much when you consider the total and you can sell the reamer when you're done with it.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

johan - What are the import/export laws concerning sending your barrel to the US to have just the barrel worked on and then receiving it back??

Just an option. Here in the US, this is a quick fix issue, but I have no idea about how things work there.

JD

Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #8

renting reamers would be a thing of dreames, over here finding a gunsmith is hard enough we currently have none that i can find in our biggest city other than the odd guy who fits suppressors in his garden shed. sending the barrel anywhere is a no go since 9/11 we cannot import or export anything firearm related without a dealer licence and allot of money. will a finishing ream work 5mm out. where would you be able to buy a second hand one from?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

Yes a finishing reamer would ream 5mm easily. It won't recess your barrel for your bolt face however.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #10

ahk yup of course. looking at the price of new reamers it would stil be cheeper for me to get a new bolt head which would resolve the problem aswell.
so in everyones oppinion 12mm of thread in the reciever is inadiquate? i have a 308 barrel off a remington semi automatic which only has 10mm of thread on a smaller shank so would handle even less pressure. if it is not neccessary to remachine or replace the bolt head i would rather not.