Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   re barrel question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/re-barrel-question-36158/)

johan 12-29-2010 04:46 AM

re barrel question

hi i have a model 110 savage that was in 3006 the rifle is getting old and straying so hav bought a new replacement in 2506. it turnes out tht my rifle has one of the verry first bolt heads making the bolt 5mm longer, as a result the original barrel has a recess for the nose of the bolt to extend into. my new barrel hasnt got this recess and i can only get 12mm of thread into the reciever instead of 17mm with the original. i would like a second oppinion on whether it will be safe to use the rifle with the reduced thread as the alternative is having it remachined or buying a new bolt head and firing pin.

cpttango30 12-29-2010 01:23 PM

NO IT IS NOT. Your head spacing is going to way off. Send the barrel back and get the right one.

Dillinger 12-29-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 411114)
NO IT IS NOT. Your head spacing is going to way off. Send the barrel back and get the right one.

I am going to second what was Tango's second opinion. You need to get the right barrel, or have the barrel professionally fit.

JD

stalkingbear 12-29-2010 06:48 PM

You can machine the barrel for the recess if you really know what you're doing. I'd suggest you have it installed like Dillinger and Tango says.

johan 12-29-2010 07:05 PM

hi
i have checked headspace and is correct. the savage rifles use a locking nut to set headspace replacing the machined shoulder that other brands rely on. i would have it remachined but im having difficulty finding someone with a 2506 ream that is near to where i live. the only problem i can see is how the threads will hold out long term

stalkingbear 12-29-2010 07:09 PM

It's a simple matter to rent reamers in the USA. I doubt you can rent reamers in NZ however. A finish reamer isn't that much when you consider the total and you can sell the reamer when you're done with it.

Dillinger 12-29-2010 07:27 PM

johan - What are the import/export laws concerning sending your barrel to the US to have just the barrel worked on and then receiving it back??

Just an option. Here in the US, this is a quick fix issue, but I have no idea about how things work there.

JD

johan 12-29-2010 07:45 PM

renting reamers would be a thing of dreames, over here finding a gunsmith is hard enough we currently have none that i can find in our biggest city other than the odd guy who fits suppressors in his garden shed. sending the barrel anywhere is a no go since 9/11 we cannot import or export anything firearm related without a dealer licence and allot of money. will a finishing ream work 5mm out. where would you be able to buy a second hand one from?

stalkingbear 12-29-2010 09:58 PM

Yes a finishing reamer would ream 5mm easily. It won't recess your barrel for your bolt face however.

johan 12-30-2010 04:06 AM

ahk yup of course. looking at the price of new reamers it would stil be cheeper for me to get a new bolt head which would resolve the problem aswell.
so in everyones oppinion 12mm of thread in the reciever is inadiquate? i have a 308 barrel off a remington semi automatic which only has 10mm of thread on a smaller shank so would handle even less pressure. if it is not neccessary to remachine or replace the bolt head i would rather not.