Questions on reloading?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Questions on reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions on reloading?

Hi there, im an avaid shooter that just had a child. Moneys a little bit tighter these days. Im really wanting to look into reloading as an option. But I dont really know the first thing about it. But about 15 years ago I do remeber a nabor having a reloader that was all in one, it was pretty simple... Are they still like that? I guess im looking for a kit. I shoot .40 s&w and .762x39. Any sugestions? Thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Step 1. Buy a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. Check Amazon for a used copy.

Step 2. AFTER reading the book, shop for equipment. You will need a scale or powder measure (really, both) a press and dies. Check over on E-Bay (hate the place, but what do you do?) for USED equipment.

The .40 is probably your biggest money saver- there is still fairly cheap 7.62x39 ammo out there. You will also want a laoding manual, but for now, you can get load data from the powder and bullet maker's websites.

There IS other equipment you will want later.

And yes, read the book first.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been extremely satisfied with my Dillon RL55B progressive press. I have been reloading for close to 40 years and at some point I've probably owned just about everything from single stage through everyone's progressive. If you are just starting out, you might want to check out brianenos.com. Brian is a world class competitive shooter but also sells Dillon reloaders and all the bells and whistles you might need for other manufactures. The value with Brian are the forums he hosts on his site and the personal attention you get when you order products - he actually talked me down from a more expensive Dillon press to the 550. Good luck and have fun. Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Thx C3shooter, im taking your advice and looking online, dose it make a diferance on the author or edition? Im sure it probley dosent but I want to try and get exactly what your reffering to... I apreshate your expertise.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Chew- you can go for an older one, but will not have some of the lastest info. last year's looks like a good buy.

Dillon makes great stuff. It may be more $$$ than a novice wants to spend up front (If he stays with it, he'll buy one eventually)

A progressive is good when loading in large quantities- for a beginner, would suggest a more basic single stage press- Start on the Honda, then get the Harley.

There are also "sets" sold by Lee that are fairly inexpensive- but there are good bargains on used dies etc out there- and I have never worn out a carbide die.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

not to be a hijacker or anything but just thought I'de ask how many times can you use brass before you quit reloading it

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I have loaded some brass many times, and have loaded others only once.
It depends on how "hot" they are loaded, how much has the brass been "worked", what dies are being used, which brand is being used, what caliber it is, etc...

There are so many variables that affect brass life, there is no "general rule" on how many times a piece can be reloaded.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Dan nailed it. Very hot loads, lot of resizing/renecking- unless cases are annealed/ trimmed, may be good for 1-2 times. .45 ACP and .38 Special target loads? You will loose the brass in the grass before you wear it out.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #9

Check out ultimatereloader.com Some good videos!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on what C3shooter has said.
I reload every caliber I fire, except of course .22s and .17s.
I'd prefer an RCBS set though.