Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Questions on reloading? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/questions-reloading-55684/)

Chewdo 01-17-2012 05:36 PM

Questions on reloading?

Hi there, im an avaid shooter that just had a child. Moneys a little bit tighter these days. Im really wanting to look into reloading as an option. But I dont really know the first thing about it. But about 15 years ago I do remeber a nabor having a reloader that was all in one, it was pretty simple... Are they still like that? I guess im looking for a kit. I shoot .40 s&w and .762x39. Any sugestions? Thx

c3shooter 01-17-2012 06:13 PM

Step 1. Buy a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. Check Amazon for a used copy.

Step 2. AFTER reading the book, shop for equipment. You will need a scale or powder measure (really, both) a press and dies. Check over on E-Bay (hate the place, but what do you do?) for USED equipment.

The .40 is probably your biggest money saver- there is still fairly cheap 7.62x39 ammo out there. You will also want a laoding manual, but for now, you can get load data from the powder and bullet maker's websites.

There IS other equipment you will want later.

And yes, read the book first.

Belltactical 01-17-2012 07:40 PM

I have been extremely satisfied with my Dillon RL55B progressive press. I have been reloading for close to 40 years and at some point I've probably owned just about everything from single stage through everyone's progressive. If you are just starting out, you might want to check out brianenos.com. Brian is a world class competitive shooter but also sells Dillon reloaders and all the bells and whistles you might need for other manufactures. The value with Brian are the forums he hosts on his site and the personal attention you get when you order products - he actually talked me down from a more expensive Dillon press to the 550. Good luck and have fun. Hope this helps.

Chewdo 01-17-2012 08:12 PM

Thx C3shooter, im taking your advice and looking online, dose it make a diferance on the author or edition? Im sure it probley dosent but I want to try and get exactly what your reffering to... I apreshate your expertise.

c3shooter 01-17-2012 10:01 PM

Chew- you can go for an older one, but will not have some of the lastest info. last year's looks like a good buy.

Dillon makes great stuff. It may be more $$$ than a novice wants to spend up front (If he stays with it, he'll buy one eventually)

A progressive is good when loading in large quantities- for a beginner, would suggest a more basic single stage press- Start on the Honda, then get the Harley.

There are also "sets" sold by Lee that are fairly inexpensive- but there are good bargains on used dies etc out there- and I have never worn out a carbide die.

unclebear 01-18-2012 12:20 AM

not to be a hijacker or anything but just thought I'de ask how many times can you use brass before you quit reloading it

danf_fl 01-18-2012 09:47 AM

I have loaded some brass many times, and have loaded others only once.
It depends on how "hot" they are loaded, how much has the brass been "worked", what dies are being used, which brand is being used, what caliber it is, etc...

There are so many variables that affect brass life, there is no "general rule" on how many times a piece can be reloaded.

c3shooter 01-18-2012 12:09 PM

Dan nailed it. Very hot loads, lot of resizing/renecking- unless cases are annealed/ trimmed, may be good for 1-2 times. .45 ACP and .38 Special target loads? You will loose the brass in the grass before you wear it out.

Gunner5607 01-19-2012 01:53 AM

Check out ultimatereloader.com Some good videos!

75370 01-20-2012 09:09 AM

+1 on what C3shooter has said.
I reload every caliber I fire, except of course .22s and .17s.
I'd prefer an RCBS set though.