Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Questions on how to build an AR-15 & 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions on how to build an AR-15 & 1911

Where do you find the parts? How difficult are they to assemble? Are there any schematics on how to put them together? How do you register them after you have built them?

I noticed alot of you build your own Ar's and 1911 just wondering if you can give me a push in the right direction.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #2

I am also new to the forum, but imagine most of what your asking is already posted in the varying sections of this and other forums, alot of forum sites have "how to", and detail topics tho not both AR and 1911 together.

A good start for parts and tools is Brownell's, they also offer alot of "how to",
gunsmithing books and videos. The difficulty is tool costs patients and passion. If you enjoy it invest the time to learn how to build them.
A 1911 will likely be more challenging to "assemble" than the AR.
Your State laws may require that you register a weapon you built, but Federal law only requires that you register it if you transfer it.

I can give some quality 1911 component suppliers STI, Caspain, SV Infinity, Kart, Scheumann, Storm Lake, EGW, Ed Brown , Novak, Heinie, Wolff, Colt, Ahrends, Navidrex, Wilson, Mccormick, Les Baer.

Im sure others have thier favorites and that I left some out, ther are a lot of quality part suppliers.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsteel View Post
I am also new to the forum, but imagine most of what your asking is already posted in the varying sections of this and other forums, alot of forum sites have "how to", and detail topics tho not both AR and 1911 together.

A good start for parts and tools is Brownell's, they also offer alot of "how to",
gunsmithing books and videos. The difficulty is tool costs patients and passion. If you enjoy it invest the time to learn how to build them.
A 1911 will likely be more challenging to "assemble" than the AR.
Your State laws may require that you register a weapon you built, but Federal law only requires that you register it if you transfer it.

I can give some quality 1911 component suppliers STI, Caspain, SV Infinity, Kart, Scheumann, Storm Lake, EGW, Ed Brown , Novak, Heinie, Wolff, Colt, Ahrends, Navidrex, Wilson, Mccormick, Les Baer.

Im sure others have thier favorites and that I left some out, ther are a lot of quality part suppliers.

Thanks, Do you know if all parts of the firearm have to be transfered to an FFL first?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

In the AR, just the lower receiver has to be FFL transfered, the rest of the parts can be sent right to your door.

I believe the same is true with the pistol frame.

JD

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
In the AR, just the lower receiver has to be FFL transfered, the rest of the parts can be sent right to your door.

I believe the same is true with the pistol frame.

JD
Thanks for the info JD.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

Yes, the AR lower reciever, Pistol frame/reciever, are FFL and any fun stuff like class three fire control parts or suppressors.

Check these AR suppliers, LMT, YHM, LWRC, EGW, DSA, Rock River,
Colt, Stag, Sabre, DPMS, Geissele, Timney, Olympic, Bushmaster,
Smith Enterprise, Vltor, IOR Valdada, Ace Ltd, ARMS, Eotech.

Lots and lots more, you can spend hours just making a list of goodies!!!!!
Have fun!!!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Will this be your first 1911, or are you experienced?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Will this be your first 1911, or are you experienced?
I've been taught field stripping, detailed stripping, reassembly, how to fit parts. I'm still learning but I would like to assemble my own as I go along with the classes. Turns out all I would have though is a complete slide since I cant touch the frame without a permit.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #9

Check out ar15-kits.com, Model 1, or M&A for full AR kits. Use the Brownell's catalogs to see where they get their parts, then go directly to those makers!

Bookmark Numrich Gun Parts - www.e-gun-parts.com. They have parts for just about every gun, and have schematics of the AR and 1911 that you can download. Hang those on your shop wall for inspiration.

Build a kit or two to develop your skills, then sell them. Use your 3rd or 4th build for the one that you're going to put in hundreds of hours, and all your blood & sweat! These will be the guns that get passed down through the family!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
Check out ar15-kits.com, Model 1, or M&A for full AR kits. Use the Brownell's catalogs to see where they get their parts, then go directly to those makers!

Bookmark Numrich Gun Parts - www.e-gun-parts.com. They have parts for just about every gun, and have schematics of the AR and 1911 that you can download. Hang those on your shop wall for inspiration.

Build a kit or two to develop your skills, then sell them. Use your 3rd or 4th build for the one that you're going to put in hundreds of hours, and all your blood & sweat! These will be the guns that get passed down through the family!
Thanks for the help, Im going to start on an AR15. Im looking around for some good parts and an FFL who can order the reciever for me, but I'll settle on the Upper assembly for now to keep me entertained.