Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Questions on how to build an AR-15 & 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/questions-how-build-ar-15-1911-a-13835/)

dynastyofnext 05-13-2009 04:49 AM

Questions on how to build an AR-15 & 1911

Where do you find the parts? How difficult are they to assemble? Are there any schematics on how to put them together? How do you register them after you have built them?

I noticed alot of you build your own Ar's and 1911 just wondering if you can give me a push in the right direction.

Speedsteel 05-13-2009 06:36 AM

I am also new to the forum, but imagine most of what your asking is already posted in the varying sections of this and other forums, alot of forum sites have "how to", and detail topics tho not both AR and 1911 together.

A good start for parts and tools is Brownell's, they also offer alot of "how to",
gunsmithing books and videos. The difficulty is tool costs patients and passion. If you enjoy it invest the time to learn how to build them.
A 1911 will likely be more challenging to "assemble" than the AR.
Your State laws may require that you register a weapon you built, but Federal law only requires that you register it if you transfer it.

I can give some quality 1911 component suppliers STI, Caspain, SV Infinity, Kart, Scheumann, Storm Lake, EGW, Ed Brown , Novak, Heinie, Wolff, Colt, Ahrends, Navidrex, Wilson, Mccormick, Les Baer.

Im sure others have thier favorites and that I left some out, ther are a lot of quality part suppliers.

dynastyofnext 05-13-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedsteel (Post 105694)
I am also new to the forum, but imagine most of what your asking is already posted in the varying sections of this and other forums, alot of forum sites have "how to", and detail topics tho not both AR and 1911 together.

A good start for parts and tools is Brownell's, they also offer alot of "how to",
gunsmithing books and videos. The difficulty is tool costs patients and passion. If you enjoy it invest the time to learn how to build them.
A 1911 will likely be more challenging to "assemble" than the AR.
Your State laws may require that you register a weapon you built, but Federal law only requires that you register it if you transfer it.

I can give some quality 1911 component suppliers STI, Caspain, SV Infinity, Kart, Scheumann, Storm Lake, EGW, Ed Brown , Novak, Heinie, Wolff, Colt, Ahrends, Navidrex, Wilson, Mccormick, Les Baer.

Im sure others have thier favorites and that I left some out, ther are a lot of quality part suppliers.

Thanks, Do you know if all parts of the firearm have to be transfered to an FFL first?

Dillinger 05-13-2009 03:27 PM

In the AR, just the lower receiver has to be FFL transfered, the rest of the parts can be sent right to your door.

I believe the same is true with the pistol frame.

JD

dynastyofnext 05-13-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 105784)
In the AR, just the lower receiver has to be FFL transfered, the rest of the parts can be sent right to your door.

I believe the same is true with the pistol frame.

JD

Thanks for the info JD.

Speedsteel 05-13-2009 10:37 PM

Yes, the AR lower reciever, Pistol frame/reciever, are FFL and any fun stuff like class three fire control parts or suppressors.

Check these AR suppliers, LMT, YHM, LWRC, EGW, DSA, Rock River,
Colt, Stag, Sabre, DPMS, Geissele, Timney, Olympic, Bushmaster,
Smith Enterprise, Vltor, IOR Valdada, Ace Ltd, ARMS, Eotech.

Lots and lots more, you can spend hours just making a list of goodies!!!!!
Have fun!!!!!

canebrake 05-13-2009 11:42 PM

Will this be your first 1911, or are you experienced?

dynastyofnext 05-14-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 105895)
Will this be your first 1911, or are you experienced?

I've been taught field stripping, detailed stripping, reassembly, how to fit parts. I'm still learning but I would like to assemble my own as I go along with the classes. Turns out all I would have though is a complete slide since I cant touch the frame without a permit.

indy_kid 05-17-2009 07:27 AM

Check out ar15-kits.com, Model 1, or M&A for full AR kits. Use the Brownell's catalogs to see where they get their parts, then go directly to those makers!

Bookmark Numrich Gun Parts - www.e-gun-parts.com. They have parts for just about every gun, and have schematics of the AR and 1911 that you can download. Hang those on your shop wall for inspiration.

Build a kit or two to develop your skills, then sell them. Use your 3rd or 4th build for the one that you're going to put in hundreds of hours, and all your blood & sweat! These will be the guns that get passed down through the family!

dynastyofnext 05-17-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy_kid (Post 106714)
Check out ar15-kits.com, Model 1, or M&A for full AR kits. Use the Brownell's catalogs to see where they get their parts, then go directly to those makers!

Bookmark Numrich Gun Parts - www.e-gun-parts.com. They have parts for just about every gun, and have schematics of the AR and 1911 that you can download. Hang those on your shop wall for inspiration.

Build a kit or two to develop your skills, then sell them. Use your 3rd or 4th build for the one that you're going to put in hundreds of hours, and all your blood & sweat! These will be the guns that get passed down through the family!

Thanks for the help, Im going to start on an AR15. Im looking around for some good parts and an FFL who can order the reciever for me, but I'll settle on the Upper assembly for now to keep me entertained.