Question gas piston M14 or M1A
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Question gas piston M14 or M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question gas piston M14 or M1A

Last time I fired my M1A it filed to eject. I cleaned the gas piston as to Springfield recommendations. The piston has some pitting on the outside and end of piston. Springfield does not say replace piston if pitted. I checked the OD of piston. All measurements where there was no pitting were .497. I measured the area where the pitting is there and are no high spots. If anything it could be 1/5 of a thousandth small. I can’t see that this would cause any problems. I would not want to score the cylinder walls, as this would be well over a $100 fix. I do not want to replace gas piston if not necessary, it is over $50. Any thoughts, thanks.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm sorry brother - I love to help in these situations, but this is just outside anything resembling my area of expertise.

In my total time in the shop, we have had ( 2 ) M1A's that wandered in and both left with the person who brought them by.

Forum Member needs HELP over here!!!

JD

Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What about cleaning it up with some fine emory cloth? What kind of shape is the recoil spring in? How's the ejector and the extractor look?

If it's the piston, there's one for $22. here: M14 Parts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #4

That shouldn't bother it.
With the bolt locked to the rear is the piston free to move in the cylinder? Does it slide from front to back as you elevate the muzzle to the ceiling and then turn it down towards the floor?
You should hear the piston sliding back and forth making a smacking noise as it hits each end.
Also +1 on what CA357 said.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Last edited by 753X0; 08-27-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the link. I only checked one place on the Internet and it was $50.
When I took off the gas plug I had to use a little force to get the piston out. So I’m sure the gunk on the piston was the problem. I used 3M Scotch Brite (green scuff pad) and bore solvent to clean the piston. The piston moves fine in the cylinder now.
I’ll be seeing a gunsmith who is an expert on M1’s, who also owns a M14 on Sept 13 and 14. See what he has to say, but for $22 for a good used piston. I may just buy it.
I used an M14 in the Army but we never cleaned the gas piston.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 08-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Last Crow, I have it's older brother, a '43 M1 Springfield Garand. I love these rifles.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams